D&D 5E What makes a "full" spellcaster? [Warlock discussion]

Lanliss

Explorer
Even easier! Just play a Tomelock with the house rule that he can also record non-ritual spells to his Book of Shadows, and change his spells known upon completing a long rest.

If you're feeling really freaky, allow his Patrons to be "The Necromancer", "The Alchemist", etc. (instead of Fiend, Archfey, or Great Old One) and take the wizard sub-class features at the appropriate level.

You might like the Homebrew Warlock I am working on. Tome-lock opens all of this up.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?550121-Warlock-Homebrew-changes

Irda Ranger

First Post
You might like the Homebrew Warlock I am working on. Tome-lock opens all of this up.

That's cool. I actually just took 20 minutes to write up a "Magic User" class, which sort of merges Warlock and Wizard. It's mostly Warlock but with Arcane Tradition instead of Patron, you learn spells more like a wizard from the Wizard spell list, use the Warlock "Spells known" column as the number of spells you can prepare, and the pacts are re-skinned as Binder, Bladesinger, and Ritualist.

Exactly.

Basing a bonus on the enemies CR works nicely.

I have been mulling around ideas like that for the paladin (purifying smite does damage based on the CR of the fiend/undead you are fighting instead of the current bonus [the gods {or whoever you swore the oath to} are more offended by Orcus than by a zombie) or the ranger (changing favored enemy to be once a day you get temp hit points [based on CR] when you kill a favored enemy). Not sure I would ever go forward with something like that, but it whiles away time at the bus stop thinking about it.

mellored

Legend
I have been mulling around ideas like that for the paladin (purifying smite does damage based on the CR of the fiend/undead you are fighting instead of the current bonus [the gods {or whoever you swore the oath to} are more offended by Orcus than by a zombie) or the ranger (changing favored enemy to be once a day you get temp hit points [based on CR] when you kill a favored enemy). Not sure I would ever go forward with something like that, but it whiles away time at the bus stop thinking about it.
I could see a number of varients.

Life Drinker: When you kill a creature you gain temporary hit points equal to the CR of that creature.
Rampage: When you kill a creature you gain a bonus equal to it's CR to your next damage roll before the end of your next turn.
Giant Slayer: You gain bonus damage against creatures who CR is higher than your level equal to the difference. Thus if your level 10, you gain +2 damage aginst CR 12 creatures.
Horde Slayer: When you kill a creature who's CR is less than 1/2 your level you can make one addition attack.

Remove ads