• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What new jargon do you want to replace "Race"?

What new jargon do you want to replace "Race"?

• Species

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • Type

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Form

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Lifeform

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Biology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taxonomy

• Taxon

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Genus

• Geneology

• Family

• Parentage

• Ancestry

Votes: 99 55.6%
  • Bloodline

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Line

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lineage

Votes: 49 27.5%
  • Pedigree

• Folk

Votes: 34 19.1%
  • Kindred

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • Kind

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Kin

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Kinfolk

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Filiation

• Extraction

• Descent

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Heredity

• Heritage

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • People

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Nature

• Birth

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
"Species". What it lacks in sounding right in a fantasy context it makes up in clearly meaning the thing that race most prominently means in D&D.
I don’t want to drag the thread down, so I won’t belabor the issue, but I just want to say that this is far from an uncontested position. What [the character element formerly known as race] is in D&D is very different than what Species means in real life.

Clint_L

Hero
I don’t want to drag the thread down, so I won’t belabor the issue, but I just want to say that this is far from an uncontested position. What [the character element formerly known as race] is in D&D is very different than what Species means in real life.
Okay, wait. While I like "schmorp", I now also kind of want "[the character element formally known as race]," but I want it to be a weird little symbol.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Okay hear me out.

We go back to making Races as Classes. Then they are just all called Classes. "Im a Fighter!" "Im a Wizard!" "Im an Elf!"

An Elf of course being a Fighter/Wizard in regular terms. or a Dwarf being a Fighter with some special abilities. Etc.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
I like that they sound old timey.

This is the thing. Give me a page with the template from the printed books and give me a print out, full colour, off of D&D Beyond with the pure white sterile background.

You know which one looks better? The one that LOOKS like its old, or has something going on. The one with the pure white page backing? I dont even want to look at it.

Maybe its foolish to some, but to me, it matters a whole lot.

Remove ads