• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what page is rules of magic item % found/buy

Mighty Veil

First Post
What page in the DMG is the rule of buying magic items. Specifically, the rule of the chance an item is found. And what page is the max. magic/city population too? TIA.

Mighty Veil said:
What page in the DMG is the rule of buying magic items. Specifically, the rule of the chance an item is found. And what page is the max. magic/city population too? TIA.
Your post isn't very clear.

Assuming you mean :-

what is the chance of finding a specific magic item in a given settlement?

Each settlement is given a gold piece value based on its size category. In theory, any magic items (or mundane items, if it comes to that) with a value up to this amount are available. More expensive items are not.

I don't have my DMG with me so I can't give you the page number.

The maximum city size is metropolis; as far as I am aware it doesn't matter how large it gets after that.

I would add that this assumes a "standard" D&D campaign, and there isn't really any such thing. Most DMs are likely to tweak it a bit - for instance in a city dominated by clerics with a hatred of arcane spellcasters, divine magic may be widely available but arcane magic is only available on the black market, if at all.

Remove ads