• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What PC games should I pick up?

Grifter86

First Post
Heyas.

Right now I have a 500mhz Pentium III Gateway computer, and I'm looking for some good PC games to splurge on. I dig titles like Baldur's Gate, Half-Life, and Tachyon: The Fringe. The only type of game I can't stand is RTS.

Would anyone be so kind as to give me some advice?

Sixchan

First Post
Grifter86 said:
Heyas.

Right now I have a 500mhz Pentium III Gateway computer, and I'm looking for some good PC games to splurge on. I dig titles like Baldur's Gate, Half-Life, and Tachyon: The Fringe. The only type of game I can't stand is RTS.

Would anyone be so kind as to give me some advice?

So TBS is OK? Civ 3 would be a good choice then. I've got a 500mhz, and Neverwinter Nights just runs on my PC (I had to buy a new videocard, though). Also, get a SNES Emulator. Graphics mean nothing.:)

Welverin

First Post
The other Infinity Engine games (Torment and the Icewind Dale series), Freedom Force, Serious Sam.

For more HL mods check out the reviews at Ten Four and then download the good ones (links are provided).

Dark Jezter

First Post
I really dig Neverwinter Nights; some of the user-created modules are absolutely breathtaking (such as Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, Twilight, etc). The expansion pack (Shadows of Undrentide) is also worth picking up.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 is very addictive, and definately worth checking out. I'm not a real big fan of sports games, but I'll admit that it hooked me. Although the 2004 edition will be out in a couple of months, so you might want to check that one out instead.

And finally, I know you said that you didn't like RTS games, but I definately recommend that you at least try out Warcraft III. It's not your traditional RTS, and incorperates several RPG elements. It also has a great storyline, cool characters, and jaw-dropping cinematic sequences.

CarlZog

Explorer
Unfortunately, Grifter, I think you're going to be hard pressed to get Neverwinter to run very well on your 500MHz.

Others that you can run:

Planescape: Torment. Awesome story-driven RPG using the Baldur's Gate engine.

Deus Ex. Great FPS with a little RPG mixed in.

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising. Super fun action/strategy sci-fi. I loved this game, but it never got much attention, and now you can pick it up for $2 at most online stores.

CZ

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads