• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What PC races are in your 4E group!

What 4E races are played in your campaign?

chromeraven

First Post
My group has 1 Dwarf (Fighter), 3 Eladrin (Wizard, Rogue, Paladin), 1 Half Elf (Warlock), 1 Human (ranger), and 1 Halfling (warlord).

We'd have -1 eladrin, -1 halfling if the DM wasn't up in arms about Tiefling and Dragonborn. Of course, if the DM had his way we'd all be Human.

Jack99

Adventurer
2 dragonborn (swordranger and warlord) 1 human (fighter multiclass wizard) 1 elf (bowranger) 1 tiefling (wizard) 1 half-elf (warlock) 1 halfling (rogue)

MortalPlague

Adventurer
The one problem with your poll is that it doesn't work for multiple members of the same race in a given party; I think humans would be even further ahead were that the case.

My campaign features two humans and a tiefling who doesn't know she's a tiefling. The game I'm currently playing in features a dragonborn, three humans, and my half-elf (although my first character was human).

lutecius

Explorer
Yeah, but if there was another monster race, people might hate on it even more than they do the DBs, depending on what it was.
I think minotaur would be pretty popular. Many people thought it was going to be the mystery race before db was announced.
Of course, there would be the whole "OMG WoW!" outrage, and the "ew! horned wookies" if they kept the 3e look.
:-S now that i think of what they've done to tiefling and db, minotaurs could end up with furry wings and tentacle arms, but no horns.

I would have liked a non-furry strong race, like a toned down ogre (not half-ogres ...ugly backstory) or a butch irda. I didn't care for the 3e goliath's fluff but something along those lines would work too.

The one problem with your poll is that it doesn't work for multiple members of the same race in a given party; I think humans would be even further ahead were that the case.
Yes, but since there is no way to weight your votes, this is the best I could come up with. ;) I think it works reasonably well overall, the general tendencies are shown, I think.

I would have liked a non-furry strong race, like a toned down ogre (not half-ogres ...ugly backstory) or a butch irda. I didn't care for the 3e goliath's fluff but something along those lines would work too.
Arcana Evolved Giant? Or is that one to "wise"? (If you're interested in them, check my blog. :)

Yeah, I'm with you there. I'm very bored by "furry"-type big strong races (even Warforged seem more interesting/less lame). I suspect we'll see Goliaths in the PHB2 (I have no idea what else the giant thing on the cover could be), and hopefully with better fluff.

Trickstergod

First Post
It appears that Dragonborn are a popular addition to the D&D canon.

No wonder they’re hated

They're also new and arguably one of the mechanically best races in the book. So of course there's going to be a glut of them.

Eldarin are also relatively high up there, if not quite as much - they add a few interesting mechanics to the races (namely, teleporting) and even though they're more or less the high elves of prior editions, they're still "new" due to a new name and a few other changes.

Give things a year or two, once they're not shiny and new.

Give them a statistical revamp for that matter - I'd wager a good chunk are playing them solely due to the stats. This is at least the case with one player in the game I PC in. I'm willing to bet the human numbers will drop a bit, too, based pretty much on their stats.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I am surprised that Halfling is not played more. I mean, less than the Half-elf! Inconceivable! :)

Anyhow my group has/had:

Dragonborn Fighter (deceased)
Dragonborn Warlord
Human Ranger (left party)
Elf Ranger
Dwarf Cleric
Dwarf Paladin
Human Wizard (multi-cleric, orb)
Halfling Rogue
Human Warlock (star)

That said, if I die and the Warlock dies I would like to try a Tiefling Warlock (fey).

Drunken Master

First Post
I'm DM-ing a Forgotten Realms game. My players are:
• Human paladin of Torm
• Human two-weapon ranger
• Eladrin orb wizard
• Half-dragon warlord (homebrew race, see below)

In my 3.5E FR campaign, my wife played a cleric of Sune who had a daughter with a gold dragon. Fast forward 100-ish campaign years, and that half-gold dragon daughter is my wife's current character. I based it on a dragonborn, with a few minor alterations. She has low-light vision and a d8 fire breath weapon (due to the less-diluted dragon bloodline), but does not get the extra hit points dragonborn get when they use a healing surge. And the skills are a little different: +2 Perception, +2 Diplomacy. That's it - easy metallic half-dragon. Then, purely as a flavor thing, she has a touch of the gold-dragon's shape-shifting ability: she looks pretty much human except for some areas of fine gold scales and golden eyes, but can take on slightly more draconic features, like when angered, for instance. No effect on mechanics, though.

For a half-chromatic dragon, I would swap the +2 Diplomacy for +2 Intimidate, and of course the breath weapon is always dependent on the parent dragon's color. Half-dragons are treated as dragonborn for qualifying for racial feats.

I am surprised that Halfling is not played more. I mean, less than the Half-elf! Inconceivable! :)
"Inconceivable"? You keep using that word. I do think it means what you think it means. :)

Maybe it is because people like to play someone "caught between two worlds"? Or is the mechanical benefits? I am a little surprised myself, because half-elf is the race I like least...

Remove ads