What piece of media did hype kill for you?

Ryujin

Legend
You need to get more cynical about people rather than the movies themselves:)

When the critics call the fourth movie in a series groundbreaking I just accept that critics are talking out their bums and its going to be another nice ride of a road warrior movie without the 'story' that Thunderdome imposed on it. Fury Road was a good Road Warrior movie...(if it was the best movie of 2015 its because everything else was dross)

I have a general practice: There are two movie reviewers I generally read the reviews on, in the newspaper. If they both agree that a movie is crap, I immediately go to see it.

Joker

First Post
Prometheus. Hands down.

I love the first two Aliens. They are *the* Sci-Fi films for me. So when I heard they were making a prequel and it was directed by Ridley, it blew my mind.
But it was all one big disappointment. Nothing even remotely Alien about it.

I suppose if it had been marketed as just a Sci-Fi movie, I could have overlooked some of the silliness and enjoyed it the way you could enjoy Galaxy of Terror. But with its carbon copy trailer of the original trailer, it got me in the Alien mood. The fact that it was only in 3D didn't help.

I don't know if it's fair to judge a movie based on how well it lives up to expectations. But suffice it to say, this was one piece of hype that let me down.

I like Lance Henriksen's assessment of it. They talk about it at 12 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GWJ1qbSf0

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Prometheus. Hands down.

I love the first two Aliens. They are *the* Sci-Fi films for me. So when I heard they were making a prequel and it was directed by Ridley, it blew my mind.

I suppose if it had been marketed as just a Sci-Fi movie, I could have overlooked some of the silliness and enjoyed it the way you could enjoy Galaxy of Terror. But with its carbon copy trailer of the original trailer, it got me in the Alien mood. The fact that it was only in 3D didn't help.

I don't know if it's fair to judge a movie based on how well it lives up to expectations. But suffice it to say, this was one piece of hype that let me down.

I like Lance Henriksen's assessment of it. They talk about it at 12 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GWJ1qbSf0

You know it's funny. I watched the movie and I thought it was interesting. And it's been a while since I've seen the movie so I don't remember the particulars but I remember one instance where I was like "Wait a second, this movie is related to the Alien movies somehow?"

Ryujin

Legend
Prometheus. Hands down.

CBG19 did a 45 minute long documentary on Prometheus including commentary on director/producer meddling, why it sucked, religious imagery, and a comparison to the original script (which can be found online).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaKxB-8YlE

I can't really think of any movie or TV that was ruined for me because of hype. That's probably because I don't pay much attention to hype in general, or other people's opinions on movies, TV, books, or music. I have eccentric tastes (even for a geek), so I'm used to the idea that reviews don't necessarily relate to whether I will like a piece of entertainment or not.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Having other people's opinions of things 'ruin' something you've never seen is about the silliest thing I've ever heard of. Same with 'hype'.

Remove ads