• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What psionic powers do YOU want to see?

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I'm currently working on a 5th edition project regarding psionic characters and would appreciate community feedback on what each of you would like to see as psionic powers.

In their current state, I have a handful of adjustable powers that progress when empowered(and by level), similar to the UA articles. I've been working on it, on and off, since 5th edition was first released, and now I'm devoting real time to it. I was impressed that the design team took a similar approach to using powers as I did, however it's still quite divergent from my own method.

I left some area to add the most-wanted psionic powers, but I there is always wiggle room and time for revision, until the project is in a state I think is releasable. Once I see a decent amount of powers, I may post a poll to have a more focused group, if they aren't obvious enough by then.

Thanks for your input!

Curmudjinn

Explorer
A link to a sample of what you're doing might help.

This thread was the prelude of sharing samples of the project, but a current sample shouldn't have any effect on what a psionics fan wants to see, powers-wise. Hence the reason I didn't provide one. I don't want what I have to alter an opinion on what others want to see.

Powers and abilities from the many 3.5 sources, for example.

feartheminotaur

First Post
First - context: My personal interpretation of psionic (c'mon spellcheck, how is that not a word?) powers is that they are mentally altering the way the target perceives the world, not mentally altering the actual world. Less "I summon an actual, physical, real demon to attack you" and more "I make you think that an actual, physical, real demon is attacking you". Psionics affects what the target does, its actions and perceptions, not the tangible consequences of the target's actions. Seems OK for psionics to distract the mind for a second to force a miss ("your mind forces disadvantage"), but not to make the sword land 'half as soft' ("your mind makes the attack do half damage").

I've also never been a fan of psionic powers being 'lots and lots of KABOOM AoE damage' or 'utility like a wizard, but with your mind' or even divine powers with 'your brain' substituted for 'your deity'. If you're going to have "Mental Fireball", it's not new, or really psionics, just a reskin of the wizard casting fireball. If I want cleric and wizard powers, I'll play those classes. Psionics should be as different as a fighter is from a warlock.

Second - not sure about names. I've discovered when I say "mind thrust" some think of an actual thrust w/ forced movement ala UA and others think mental debuff as in 4e. I'll just generally describe the kind of psionic powers I want to see.

So...powers.

Illusions: Ones that directly affect the target's mind - so more phantasmal killer and less silent image. I think any power in line with the phantasm spells will be awesome. Psionics should be able to alter the target mind's ability to perceive reality, not create a false reality in the physical world.

Modifying Memories: Psionics powers should be able to create a new reality, solely in the target's head. So, powers as simple as "Those aren't the droids you're looking for" to powers as complex as making the target think they're in late '90s Chicago when really they're a living battery for Skynet.

Mental Communication: Both good and bad. Mental sending, telepathy, as well as mind reading and the such. Psionics is very much an "I'm in your head!" discipline; what a psion does once they're inside...

Buffs/Debuffs: Psionic powers that affects the mind in such a way that increases or decreases chances of dodging blows (AC), hitting the right spot (Attacks), focusing on a task (Skills), or marshaling mental energy (Saves). But not damage.

Mind Control: Pretty standard.

Counter-powers: Mechanically, yes you can call them charms or illusions and use the spell rules, but I'd like to see powers in line with counterspell or mind blank that specifically affect psionics only. If there's a PC psion, there's an NPC psion; they should be able duel psionic offense vs psionic defense - not just psionic offense vs magic/mundane defense.

Some magic items for psionic support as well, but that's beyond the scope here.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Buff and debuffs aren't something I think of for psionics but I agree with everything else in [MENTION=6801354]feartheminotaur[/MENTION]'s list. I love the 3.5 Uncarnate PrC's paramount ability to become an incorporeal being of mental consciousness only but that seems too specific and powerful an ability to base a suite of powers on.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
For me, if you can find an example of Professor X, Jean Grey, the White Queen or other Marvel (or DC) universe psychics doing it...I want my D&D psychic character to do, or at least, have the potential for access to doing, that.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
For me, the big one is just not making them "spells-by-another-name." A power source that can be duplicated by just changing the name on the Sorcerer (or any other class) is a waste of design space in my opinion.

In 2nd Edition, psionic powers used a system derived form the skill system, and I think that makes sense. Actual effects may be similar to what spells can do, but the way a person flies (for example) using psionic power should not be the same as the way a wizard does it.

The one thing I look for in any system of psychic powers is whether it can be used to replicate the original Psycho Soldier: Athena Asimaya.

At the minimum, I need the ability to Psychoport, throw a big glowing Psychoball, and wield the Psychosword.

Preferably at-will.

spartanah

Explorer
spent most of my time in 2nd edition as a psionic (up until a year ago), in and out of athas. and I loved the psychic contests, even though it was pretty slow...
5th edition made a similar in concept the counterspell, maybe it's adjustable to psychic contests.
awesome sciences and devotions from 2nd edition:

molecular agitation: accelerates molecules to create heat (pyrokinesis)

project force: blasting people away (classic sci fi psionics)

animate object: (tekinetically moves oblects)

control body (control other people against their will by linking to their limbs)

control sound (manipulate sound waves)

Adrenalin control (enhance your body against other parts or a later backlash)

body weaponry (turn your hand to a sword)

dream travel (travel to places via your dreams, incredible plot hook)

invisibility (where you invisible to specific persons when you manipulate their senses)

invincible foes (manipulate houghts that strikes will kill you)

phobia amplification (enhance deepest fears)

split personality (use your body and mind simultaneously)

martial trance (prepare yourself for battle)

psionic sense (the psi detect magic)

from Dark Sun:

impossible task (kinda the opposite of suggestion, you offer a course of action to a creature to perceive it as impossible to accomplish)

Remove ads