• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What settings would you like to see full support for?

Which setting would you like to see get lots of support?

• Forgotten Realms/Al-Qadim/Kara-Tur

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Eberron

Votes: 24 16.3%
  • Mystara

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Planescape

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Birthright

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Brand new setting

Votes: 18 12.2%

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Sarcasm aside, just take one look at the map of Faerun. You'll see the Serpent Hills, right next to the Trollhills and Trollbark Forest, The Forest of Wyrms, The Sunset Mountains, The Storm Horns, The Were Woods, The Cloud Peaks, The Snake Wood, The Giant's Run Mountains, The Daggerford, the Cloak Wood, The Sword Coast, The Star Mountains, The Lost Peaks, The High Forest, the Far Forest, The Scimitar Spires and the Border Forest.

And that is all within one region. Are you getting what I'm trying to say?
Now compare this with the names on the map of my home brew setting:

Thilneray, Talnmont, Guzeau, Ylm, Elsefort, Akhémur, Karunta, Kanswimar and Iggenstill.

The former sounds more natural and lived in to me. And they are easier to remember and visualize which is probably part of the reason why we name our cities this way. I grew up in a city called Belleville which simply means Beautiful City.

At best your names are clunky and forgetful to me. I would probably come up with my own names for the cities in game so that I can keep better track of them.

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
I'd love to see Al-Qadim, but not as part of the Realms. I want it to be a distinctive setting that could be connected to any campaign world.

ccs

41st lv DM
Sarcasm aside, just take one look at the map of Faerun. You'll see the Serpent Hills, right next to the Trollhills and Trollbark Forest, The Forest of Wyrms, The Sunset Mountains, The Storm Horns, The Were Woods, The Cloud Peaks, The Snake Wood, The Giant's Run Mountains, The Daggerford, the Cloak Wood, The Sword Coast, The Star Mountains, The Lost Peaks, The High Forest, the Far Forest, The Scimitar Spires and the Border Forest.

And that is all within one region. Are you getting what I'm trying to say?
Now compare this with the names on the map of my home brew setting:

Thilneray, Talnmont, Guzeau, Ylm, Elsefort, Akhémur, Karunta, Kanswimar and Iggenstill.

You know what springs to mind when I see a lot of the place names your complaining about?
Adventure titles.
Written in large orangish/yellow letters & arcing upwards to the right.
Or at least sub-titles for adventures....

Wich is the whole point of naming things like that on a fantasy worlds map.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Other than Gamma World, I really want to see more diversification in storytelling from Wizards. Part of the reason why I love Paizo's Adventure Paths is that they're all thematically different, even if those differences appear minor. Paizo has had:

-An adventure path based off of Russian fairy tales, where you must free Baba Yaga from her own daughter. Oh yeah, and you must confront Rasputin. Yes, that Rasputin. On World War I-era Earth.

-an ancient Egypt-inspired Adventure Path. 'Nuff said.

-An adventure path set in a land where a spaceship (not a Spelljammer magicship, and honest to god, city-sized sci-fi starship) crashed straight into barbarianland and the main villains of the game are artificial intelligences who can grant divine spells to their followers. By far my favorite.

-Pirate adventure path. Also 'nuff said.

Wizards has had

-Forgotten Realms

-Forgotten Realms

-Forgotten Realms

-Forgotten Realms

And that's it. I know their strategy nowadays is to take their time and quality>quantity, but I'm far more interested in Dark Sun and Eberron as a setting than I am Forgotten Realms. If anyone claims that Eberron and Dark Sun are anywhere near Tolkein-esque I will fight you IRL with plastic sporks.

In fact, here is Paizo's list of adventure paths:

Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion (+Earth)
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion (+Technology)
Golarion
Golarion

Paizo don't have the range of worlds you think they do. Golarion, like the Realms, has a wide variety of cultures. And they change up the trappings a bit.

But so do Wizards. There is a massive difference in the way Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Out of the Abyss are constructed as adventures. Even the way they tell stories is completely different. (In fact, Paizo don't really change their method of telling stories much. Almost all of their APs are really, really linear. Kingmaker is pretty much their only exception!)

delericho

Legend
In fact, here is Paizo's list of adventure paths:

Nitpick:

Greyhawk - Shackled City
Greyhawk - Age of Worms
Greyhawk - Savage Tide
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion (+Earth)
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion

But otherwise you're spot on - "Out of the Abyss" is as different from "Tyranny of Dragons" as, say, "Giantslayer" is from "Hell's Rebels".

Remove ads