What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

Jolly Giant

First Post
3.x is about as setting neitral as it can possibly be, IMHO. No specific setting is mentioned anywhere. Ok, so the Deities mentioned in the PHB are from Greyhawk, big deal. And Dungeon magazine focuses on Greyhawk, but so what? That doesn't make D&D 3.x a Greyhawk game, IMHO.

I suspect though, that once Vikings D20 is released WotC will quickly realize that the only sensible thing to do is to make Midgard the default setting for future editions! ;)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'd vote for Mystara too if it was there to vote for.

But, I'm not all that concerned except for one thing: PLEASE, NOT EBERRON!

Lanefan

Drowbane

First Post
Voted: greyhawk.

It is the setting that all other settings are compared to. Personally, I don't like greyhawk... I'd ran run/play in FR (with GH and E attributes).

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'd like to see a 'new' setting, done as illustration for how to create a campaign setting, and how to 'tweak' D&D to come up with different worlds.

Crothian

First Post
Eberron

It's the first real attempt to make D&D into an actual world that uses the rules we see in the books. Plus Ironwolf wants Warforged as a core race. :D

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I voted no implied setting. Greyhawk would be fine if they actually did include more than some gods and names of NPC's embedded in the core spells (Bigby, etc). But since they don't include more of Greyhawk than that, I say why bother. I would prefer more tools to create our own pantheons rather than a short list of deities with no other information on the campaign world.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Gargoyle said:
I voted no implied setting. Greyhawk would be fine if they actually did include more than some gods and names of NPC's embedded in the core spells (Bigby, etc). But since they don't include more of Greyhawk than that, I say why bother. I would prefer more tools to create our own pantheons rather than a short list of deities with no other information on the campaign world.

It strikes me that a good way to include Greyhawk without it being overbearing is to give it the treatment that the Rules Cyclopedia gave Mystara. Just add a 15-20 page appendix with a quick overview of the world and a few maps. If the players want more, they can buy some Greyhawk products or poke around online.

Mercule

Adventurer
Either Greyhawk or none. Greyhawk only if it's used as part of the flavor text like it was in 1E (vague, but alive). 3E using Greyhawk is to clinical.

Just please, please don't use Eberron. I like the setting (other than warforged), but it should not be D&D.

Remove ads