What should Wizards of the Coast do next?

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Aaron L said:
Chaosium is handling all of the CoCd20 stuff, WotC is't allowed to :)

Not quite all. :) Fantasy Flight Games is producing Nocturnum d20, a conversion of our original Call of Cthulu campaign. All 3 original books will be packed into a HUGE (300+ page) campaign book.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
It has been WotC's stated goal in the past to avoid following the TSR path of releasing book after book after book of increasingly specific (and profitless) rules. I think we'll see another MM in 2003, and perhaps a UA-type book in 2004; a world-building guide is a decent idea, perhaps a large Wilderness Survuival Guide type book, and I'm sure there are other "big picture" topics they could cover, along with releasing a FR-specific book/adventure each year. They'll leave the books with a perceived smaller audience to the d20 publishers (like the race books coming out from Bad Axe Press and Green Ronin, the Alchemy book from Bastion, etc.). That's the whole genius of the OGL/SRD/d20 system - the smaller guys can do the development, and WotC can keep their eyes on the big picture, as befitting the publisher of the actual rules.

I think WotC should concentrate on a few high-quality, widely applyable releases each year, and thankfully that is the path they seem to be pursuing. A company actually sticking to what they say they're going to do... what a relief...

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
On the 3E version of Arms and Equipment.

I believe Kenzar is working on this, so I suspect WotC won't. Their forums are down right now; which is where I saw the announcement, so I can't confirm for the next few days most likely.

Unlike d20 products Kenzer products go through WotC so it seems reasonable they'd be less likely to see overlap.

I think WotC is going to start running out of 'big-money' items. It will soon reach the point where it has to choose between sitting back and collecting the cash that comes in from being the top of the d20 industry (having the core books), or putting itself into product glut like TSR did.

Of course I'd certainly be happy if they just went back to putting out 73 FR novels a week; thus driving all the game setting fans away and over to perhaps Kalamar or other settings like Scarred Lands. :D

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Phoenix8008 said:

Well, it looks like Eden studios is gonna beat WotC to it with their book: Fields of Blood, the book of war. Found at this site:
Mongoose and AEG both have already put out War books.

AEG;s is called WAR and is a good read for how to run a campaign in a wartime setting, but is short on rules.

Mongoose's system is in the Quintessential Fighter and I find it playable enough to suit my needs. Though it lacks much in how to run a game during wartime. Which is a non issue since I have both books.

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Eridanis said:
It has been WotC's stated goal in the past to avoid following the TSR path of releasing book after book after book of increasingly specific (and profitless) rules. I think we'll see another MM in 2003, and perhaps a UA-type book in 2004; a world-building guide is a decent idea, perhaps a large Wilderness Survuival Guide type book, and I'm sure there are other "big picture" topics they could cover, along with releasing a FR-specific book/adventure each year.

And then, come late 2004, it will be time for D&D 4e! Hooray!

whydirt

First Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been a plot or city based mega-adventure, ala Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, but with politics, etc...

As long as the city was roughly self-contained, it could be almost as versatile as these other large scale adventures.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Previously Ryan Dancey stated that their new business model relied on producing books/aids that players could use, because there are 5-10 times as many players as DMs.

It would make sense, if they've stuck to that plan, that we'll see more books aimed at players than DMs. Don't know what they will be, but that's what I'd expect.

Other than 3-5 FR books, I'm hard pressed to guess what WOTC will do. They don't seem to do very well when they leave fantasy behind, so I'm not sure how much they will try. It really depends on the success of Modern.

Sodalis

First Post
True that there are roughly 4 players for every DM, but the DM buys 4 times as many books as the players do. Traps and treachery, races books, strongholds, and much more- are all aimed at the DM- because he is the only prson who can adequately use these things. SUre a player can think about a castle- but without DM consent- he is left with just theplans.

Hell- the only reason I get a lot of books is because i think i may use it later as a DM. If i were just a player- i would have the splatbooks and PHB and DMG. the others are useless for me as a player...

Sodalis

First Post
All you need to know about taverns:

A guide to BEER and other alcoholic beverages...

taverns are cool- it is where my group hangs around and wait for people to come in with information or hire us...

but pregenerated bars with random NPCs and random fights and stuff would be funt o have- especially if it ws wonderfully illustrated with town drunks and fat men and hot barmaids...

Remove ads