• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What technology do you own that you are willing to bring to the table?

What technology do you own that you are willing to bring to the table?

• Poll closed .

Bugleyman

First Post
I think he means that the products are not available as pdfs to be viewed....

Correct. I'll take a look at Dungeonscape once released -- who knows, maybe they'll wow me -- but I suspect there will be some sort of DRM and/or run-time check which makes it a non-starter (for me).

Still looking forward to picking up the DMG in print, though.

aramis erak

Legend
Do dice towers count as technology? Because those save a remarkable amount of time over the course of a night. At least at my tables where dice rolled free seem to go to the craziest places.

How about dry erase boards? Are those technology?

Wine.

Thauma-hic-turge.

Technically, dice and pencils are technologies, too...

ccooke

Adventurer
I used to GM 4e using a laptop, but towards the end I just made sure I printed out everything I needed ahead of time.
I'm now GMing 5e with a tablet and a phone, mostly pointing to a couple of tools with statblocks and things on them. I print some stuff out ahead, but it's nice to be able to generate some stuff on the fly, like random treasure, magic items or npcs.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Pretty much nothing...unless paper clips and calculators count. I have tried to use my tablet at the table (when I was DM'ing Pathfinder or an adventure path I didn't have in printed format). Each time it was a massive PITA. I've had players try to use their tablet or smart phone to do stuff on, but they are still WAAAAAY to slow to be useful at the table. Writing down notes, drawing maps, sketching out diagrams...paper and pencil (or dry erase board) gets it done in seconds; takes minutes or more (if it's even possible) on a tablet/smartphone.

Laptops...too big, bulky and loud to even consider, really.

I do put on non-lyrical music on the TV for BG ambiance (usually Nature Sounds, Classical or something like that....but Techno/Dance for when we are playing super-heroes...classical country for western...whatever fits the current game).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Authweight

First Post
If I don't have time to prep properly, I'll use my phone or my laptop, but I find that it's better if I can get everything printed off before playing. I actually even like to avoid using books at the table - I like having the pages printed/copied and sorted beforehand when possible (this was easier in 4e where I could print from the compendium quite easily).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I would like to use my tablet to run my character in 5e . As a 4e DM, I print everything out, but I wing a lot, and everyone I play with knows the rules better than me since they all DM and play more. Every player at my table but 1 uses tech to manage their PCs, but at level 25.....there is a lot to manage in 4e.

Hussar

Legend
Any and all of it. Bring it all on. More the merrier.

I can't imagine going back to playing an RPG without at the very least my smart phone. Laptop? No problem. You guys must have some awfully loud laptops if fans bother you.

r0gershrubber

First Post
I use a spellbook app for Pathfinder as a player. It's much faster than flipping through a hardback.

I think that's the only app I've discovered that gives a superior experience to the book/paper/pencil product.

was

Adventurer
Most of the time, it's just pen and pencil. Maybe a calculator to add up xp. Occasionally someone will bring their character sheet in on a tablet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads