• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What technology do you own that you are willing to bring to the table?

What technology do you own that you are willing to bring to the table?

• Poll closed .

GregoryOatmeal

First Post
I try to limit the amount of stuff at the table - I've found a lot of apps and visual representations just slow things down. But I've found my Chromecast/laptop/TV combo exceptionally useful and efficient.

We game in the living room next to my 40" TV. Using Chromecast I can share the screen with the players (an HDMI cable would work but the cord would get in the way. I imagine there are a few other dongles that could get the same effect). I'm constantly googling images of monsters to give my players a visual aid. I also keep a notepad and record initiatives on the TV. This lets players know how soon they will have a turn. I also occasionally use it for world maps. I don't prepare any of the images ahead of time.

It works really well if you can quickly alt-tab between programs. Control+E is a shortcut for searching.

Tovec

Explorer
I am a huge proponent of having no electronics at the table. Players are too easily distracted by what apps and other-non-game related stuff.

I do have caveats:
1. The DM, but even then it should be as limited as possible.
2. Online games, for obvious reasons.
3. Overly complicated characters, and even then I would prefer not and most of the time those characters aren't super welcome at my games either but it is acceptable if there are like 3-4 sheets filled to the brim with info that are frequently updated.

Grainger

Explorer
I've just come back to tabletop RPGs; not played since the dark ages, when a laptop was about the most you'd have at the table, and I just used pen and paper.

Now, as a DM, I'm using a laptop for game-world maps, and also the ability to quickly google things like medieval name lists (the list I use is far too long to print out). We also don't have enough PHBs at the table (this will change), so for now it's useful to have the basic rules available to search, too.

However, I keep the bulk of my notes on paper (prep for the session, and game world info, in a large ring binder). I am, however, using technology to provide a soundtrack - I'm currently using Syrinscape, which I've found can not only enhance, but actually make a great session, although its flexibility often temps me to fiddle with the settings too much.

I've tried other apps for book-keeping, but I find they slow things down. I was using an app on my phone to track initiative, but I just found that it was much, much quicker to use pencil and paper.

I make heavy use of tech between sessions. All of my session prep and game-world design is done on the PC (just using Word and Hexographer for campaign maps) and online encounter builders. If I had to create new encounters on the fly (this will happen sooner or later), then I will use an encounter builder in-session.

I should add that none of my players fiddle with tech at the table; thankfully, they're not the sort to constantly play with phones at social gatherings. I wouldn't mind at all if they used dice rollers or character sheets on their phones or tablets, however.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Prefer just tablets & laptops but do allow smart phones BUT limited. Phones are a two-sided coin, they can useful but also a distraction during gaming, calls and texting being the issue.

fjw70

Adventurer
I prefer to run things with paper and pencil at the table. I don't mind using a tablet or phone as an occasional reference. However, I don't care for laptops at the table.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Tablet. But that is just for pdf copies of books. I don't feel like i need computer aid to run 5e unlike 3.x. Which is SWEET!

this^. I am thinking about the laptop though, as DM, and hooking it up to a TV. Since playing roll20 I can see the value in being able to google search monster pics (which I did not already anticipate and print out ahead of time), and putting them on the TV.

Also name generators, and loot generators, can be gold for a DM (but you can do those on a tablet, doesnt have to be a laptop).

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I try to limit the amount of stuff at the table - I've found a lot of apps and visual representations just slow things down. But I've found my Chromecast/laptop/TV combo exceptionally useful and efficient.

We game in the living room next to my 40" TV. Using Chromecast I can share the screen with the players (an HDMI cable would work but the cord would get in the way. I imagine there are a few other dongles that could get the same effect). I'm constantly googling images of monsters to give my players a visual aid. I also keep a notepad and record initiatives on the TV. This lets players know how soon they will have a turn. I also occasionally use it for world maps. I don't prepare any of the images ahead of time.

It works really well if you can quickly alt-tab between programs. Control+E is a shortcut for searching.

hmm yes some good ideas!

Blue Phoenix RPG

Publisher/Designer
I use the Dundjinni software and PSP 7 for making maps. I use GIMP 2 for fog of war and displaying the maps. I use a microsoft surface pro touch that runs the GIMP2 software. While displaying the maps I have either music streaming from a website or premade music playing using the Music Bee media program. Also on the Surface Pro I have Combat Manager running to keep track of the party's stats and initiative, etc during combat. I use a Logitech G700s wireless mouse that has 13 buttons I can program. I use my Samsung 4 phone to run a program called Polaris Office. This allows me to bring up an Excel spreadsheet that lists ALL of my miniatures. The miniatures are in a big shelf that has two big louvers panels so I can take special boxes in and out of it. They are in a grid format from A1 to P16. So if I want say a "Dire Rat" I'll type in "Rat" and get a quick display of what box has the rats in them.

Then I have a thin LCD 40" TV that is connected to my Surface Touch Pro. This is use to pump audio but mainly for the maps I use. I simply put the miniatures right on the screen and play. Each miniature has a numbered sticker on the bottom so that I can track their hitpoints, etc using Combat Manager.

wideshot of my miniatures "grid"
rpg1.jpg

Closer view
rpg2.jpg

Closeup showing grid and how they're organized:
rpg3.jpg

My Computer that I play games on, make maps, and do my business on:
rpg4.jpg

My Microsoft Surface Touch Pro 1:
rpg5.jpg

Combat Manager Software:
rpg6.jpg

Keyboard and Mouse setup:
rpg7.jpg

TV showing map and miniatures. They're being attacked by zombies! oh no!
rpg8.jpg

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads