• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What the heck is a Bohemian Ear Spoon?

Epametheus

First Post
I was looking through a 1st Edition PHB (didya know that 1st edition fighter/mages could cast in armor without penalty?), and I saw in the weapons list "Bohemian Ear Spoon."

Seriously. What the hell is that? The 1E PHB doesn't describe any of the weapons beyond their stats.

Sorry if this isn't the correct sub-forum for this, but I'm really curious.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
Epametheus said:
Seriously. What the hell is that?

I remember being amused by that as well.

I believe the 2e Arms and Equipment Guide pictured it as being some sort of pole arm type weapon. But don't quote me on that.

I guess they grow 'em tall in Bohemia. (And waxy... :p )

Epametheus

First Post
Okay, cool.

I'd guessed it was a pole-arm due to where it is in the weapon list (specifically, in the 1E book it was alternate to one of the other pole-arms -- probably looked different, had a different name, but was identical to the pole-arm in stats).

But Ear Spoon?! What does that mean? Why the heck was this thing called an Ear Spoon? That's a terrible name for a weapon!

Edit: Was replying to Piratecat.

The "terrible name" bit still stands, though.

Last edited:

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
If it's not a weapon it might be the same as the 'real world item' of the same name - used to clean out ear wax. When I lived in Asia everyone had one, rather than using q-tips like we do in the states.

The first time I saw one I thought "I didn't know she was a crack addict", because it looks like one of those really tiny spoons drug addicts use. But then I started seeing them for sale in supermarkets next to things like fingernail clippers, so I got an explaination from a confused person who was probably thinking "no wonder those Americans smell so bad, what with 20+ years of ear wax in there..."

Last edited:

Turjan

Explorer
arcady said:
If it's not a weapon it might be the same as the 'real world item' of the same name - used to clean out ear wax.
That's definitely where the name comes from. This partisan had a similar appearance to an earspoon. Euphemistic names for nasty items were quite common during those times; just think of the "Swedish Drink" ;).

Remove ads