• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to do? Couple of questions that came up during a game

Akhkharu

First Post
Had a couple of questions that came up during the game earlier in the week.

1) Can an attack of opprtunity provoke an attack of opportunity? If so, how many attacks of opportunity can be made (assuming the one taking the attacks has combat reflexes)?
ex: The fighter moves through the ogres area of reach, provoking an attack of opportunity. The ogre reaches to grapple the fighter, which gives the fighter an attack of opportunity. The fighter attempts to trip the ogre, which could provoke another attack of opportunity.

2) What kind of attacks are allowed during an attack of opportunity? Can you trip, grapple, sunder, etc, or just make a regular attack?

3) What are the side effects of having a ability score lowered due to poison, disease, spell, what have you? If there is none listed, where would be a good place to look? Also, aside from the obvious, would it effect anything in the day-to-day (marching, swiming)?
ex: The fighter, after defeating the ogre, fought a wraith later in the day. Having been hit a few times by it, the fighter's Con score is down from 14 to 9.

That last one might be more house rulings but thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks a bunch
Akh

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
An AoO can provoke an AoO. If you both have Combat Reflexes, it could conceivably bounce back and forth until one of you uses up all your AoOs for the round, based on your Dex bonus.

The Table of Action types tells you what you can do with an AoO - melee attack, Trip, Grapple, or Disarm. Not Sunder.

Apart from the obvious effect of your modifiers changing, about the only thing you need to know about is what happens if an ability reaches 0. If it's Con, you're dead. If it isn't, you're incapacitated.

-Hyp.

Ferox4

First Post
Darklone said:
3.0 ... that was .... soooo long ago. I think it was the case as well.

Indeed, a long way back now..... We've never allowed an AoO to provoke an AoO (in 3.0 or 3.5) and I assumed the precedent was set in 3.0. Just curious.

Davek

First Post
I thought that although an individual could potentially have multiple AoO in a round, you could not have more than one of your AoO's per individual opponent.

Ferox4

First Post
Davek said:
I thought that although an individual could potentially have multiple AoO in a round, you could not have more than one of your AoO's per individual opponent.

The 3.5 version of Combat Reflexes allows multiple AoOs against an individual opponent.

Voadam

Legend
Davek said:

Correct for 3.0 combat reflexes feat, changed in 3.5 so as many as your dex modifier and opportunities, although only one for movement.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Voadam said:
Correct for 3.0 combat reflexes feat, changed in 3.5 so as many as your dex modifier and opportunities, although only one for movement.

Only one for movement out of threatened squares.

If they provoke one for movement into a threatened square (Hold the Line feat, for example), they can still provoke another for moving out of that square.

Ferox4 said:
This wasn't the case in 3.0, was it?

In 3E, an AoO could certainly provoke an AoO. The difference was that the chain stopped there, because nobody could take a second AoO on the same opponent.

-Hyp.

Remove ads