• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to do with a stupid character?

dicechild

First Post
How should I deal with a character that blinded himself by casting light on the bridge of his nose? I feel like making him die a horrible death that he could have avoided if he had sight, because that move was so stupid. I also am thinking about being nice and letting him take a feat to get blindsight 20 feet. I don't know what to do.

If you're talking about the Light spell, then you don't have a problem, since it lasts but a few minutes (maybe hours for high-level casters) and can't cause Blindness, unless you're playing AD&D (IIRC).

If you're talking about another spell that produces light, none of them specify that they can cause blindness. If you're the DM and ruled that the character in question is blind because of his action, well... maybe you made a bad ruling.

If the character in question has cast Continual Flame on his nose, it will appear as his face was on fire. Lots of fun role-playing possibilities there.

Also, there are ways of curing blindness and dispelling light spells...

AR

henk-thokk

First Post
I too have been in stupid occasions. Dice Child, you should get a kick out of this.:cool: :p There was a certain campaign in which we were in a dungeon. We killed a Worg and one of our players decided that he was going to pull out one of the teeth to keep. Instead of just cutting it out, he tried to pull it out by hand. By constantly retrying and rolling bad, the character almost knocked himself out. Of course, after that, I had to of course, being a druid, try to pull one out to make a necklace out of and doing the exact same thing, I lost about 6 hit points.:heh: I don't think that we ever got out one of the teeth. So, dicechild, do you understand why this should make you laugh, or at least me?:]

Bront

The man with the probe
Altamont Ravenard said:
If the character in question has cast Continual Flame on his nose, it will appear as his face was on fire. Lots of fun role-playing possibilities there.
Definately one of the more interesting images I've seen in a long while. Leads to some interesting ideas too...

D-rock

First Post
Well if he can't cure it somehow I would just let the light blind him. Otherwise, if you help him out he will never learn will he? :p

TemplarSaint

First Post
In one of our 2nd Ed campaigns, PC cleric was possessed and cast light on another PC's eyes. It blinded him and took him out of a few fights, but he was a very efficient lantern for the rest of us. In another campaign, my wife's Dwarf PC cast light on the toe of her boot so the humans in the party could see. Damned hard to hide, but it amused the rest of us no end.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I've encountered stupider. A PC in a game I was running killed himself by drowning in a bucket... He was utterly convinced that his ring of Protection +1 was actually a ring of water breathing, and kept his head in the bucket while he tried out command word after command wor...blub!

The Auld Grump, or the wizard who had himself hurled out of a catapult so that he could featherfall into the castle... but hit the wall instead...

Remove ads