• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to run when you are done with D&D?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
What do I run when I go on break from D&D? It’s not a different fantasy genre game. At all. It’s something different.

Mutants and Masterminds
Call of Cthulhu

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
I keep meaning to try [Ironsworn] solo. But it's PbtA so I'm ambivalent.

It's . . . PbtA adjacent, I suppose, but in play I found it to feel very, very differently from Dungeon World (which I thought was . . . merely okay, and my group bounced off of it pretty hard).

It has enough additional rules "heft", with the condition tracking, momentum mechanic, and the use of assets that upgrade/progress with your character that both I and my group found it very compelling.

And this is a group weaned on 4e and Savage Worlds.

It's not going to ever be truly "tactical." But in play there's just something . . . tremendous about the way it captures the soul and spirit of playing a mythic viking tribe / adventure group.

Play it solo. If you don't find solo play interesting or compelling, or can't seem to get into the right mindset, go ahead drop it. The group experience doesn't really change that much from solo play.

aco175

Legend
Remembered this one from Good Morning Vietnam, if you are looking for someplace to run to.

1641945810632.png

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Fantasy Age.

Super easy to run and offers a good amount of player options to tack on a 3 classes chassis. The Companion book has rule options to make the game a little more dangerous (like halving starting HP). It also has Organization rules and Mass Combat rules.

Remove ads