What tricks do you use to cut down on NPC prep time?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
As someone who does a full stat block for any NPC of moderate or higher importance (that has a chance to be in combat or offer something by way of skills), I keep every NPC I ever make in word files and each new NPC begins with the closest thing to it I already have, do a "save as" and then tweak from there.

Oh and I never use (and never will) standard wealth by level, I just make up the magic items they have has appropriate (which usually is one or two at the most). New magical items take nearly as much work as an NPC - which is actually not all that much now that I have my system down.

If you are just using the NPC as a "talking point" in the character - nothing other than description and what they know. - Why stat out a little old lady who is just there for polite conversation and to drop a rumor or two?

If the NPC is going to be a combat only cahracter - I stat them with all the needed combat info and drop the skills and such that are likely not to come into play - I mean does knowledge (macrame) really need to be listed on a sheet for BBEG Lt #2; what is its value in the scope of the encounter?

If the NPC is a reccuring villian or recurring companion for the group, then I will go ahead and stat out all the way, giving them ultra-unique skills and feats, to match the ultra-unique personality.

Objectively think of what the players will encounter when interacting with the NPC and stat from there, don't work harder - work smarter.

William drake

First Post
This is a good question.

If the NPC, which most of them are foes, or why would you really need to make stats for them anyways, is going to be sticking around for a long time, then I make a sheet for him. And then add levels as needed.

If on the other hand, the players are fighting something which is just another enemy, I use numbers based on the parties fighting ability. I guess, and roll so no one can see. If I throw a roll that would kill a player, I might say “well, your down” and leave it at that not telling them that they should have died. Also, I don’t answer questions like “what level it is,” or questions about its stats or equipment unless the player takes the time to try and figure out such things. And a spot check during most combat isn’t enough.

The stats don’t bother me much, the foe has what powers I wish him to have to an extent. I don’t load the enemy down with all the skills, weapons, items, or spells in which he’d be able to slay the party the quickest. That is, unless the foe is stalking them, hunting them or so on, then, the players better have been paying attention to the hints that I’ve been dropping. I make my foes, like real people, some times they are prepared, some times they aren’t and that’s just it.

Plus, after playing for a long time, a good DM should be able to just make a good guess about how powerful, or skilled a NPC should be. Ex: if the fighter in the group stumbled upon a sleeping troll, and the fighter is 7th level, then you might have to tone the troll down, or make it so that the fighter is fighting though lots of cover. The trolls more powerful, but he keeps taking out roots, and rocks and other things instead of he player, who is now in an “Indiana Jones” with the rock rolling after him, type scene. Or, I meant to send the player there, but when the troll wakes up, the player sees that its already wounded...and not hard to kill. Now the player has to wonder “what did this to it, and where is it? Is it still in the cave?” the player now runs back to the rest of the group and learns a lesson: just like in horror movies, in D&D no one should ever go off alone.

And instead of making certain foes powerful, I just throw in numbers. Say: the player started a fight with a town guard...instead of making it a fight based on their levels, Id keep the guard low level, but have him do the guard-thing “he’d call in other watchmen” now the player is higher level then all of them, but now there are three of them.

To me, the foes, and enemies and other things are setting, background, obsticles... their stories are what matter, not their stats.

I don’t have the time to make up stats for every orc, soldier, spirt, summoned creatures, wizard or w/e that my players my come across outside of my intended path for them.

Also, I don’t play with rules lawyers, so no one gets up set with the more free flowing, creative form of my game play. This isn’t to say that I don’t go by the rules, all foes, and challenges are set up correctly, but they aren’t always on paper, the aren’t up for player inspection...I’m the DM, and that’s all there is to it.

Game On.

Baumi

Adventurer
There was a great Dungeoncraft Article from Monte Cook in the Dungeon-Magazine (sorry cann't look for the number at the moment) that had great tips on creating approbate Stats on the fly.

Li Shenron

Legend
Some other ideas:

- instead of writing NPCs from the group up, take a published NPC and change a couple of things only

- max out skills, i.e. just choose X skills and max them out, with X = number of skill points per level + Int; if it's multiclassed, just choose a near-average value; or better, just max the skills he's going to use when interacting with the pc and assume the rest is spent in basketweaving

- spellcasters: prepare multiple copies of the same spell, even fill all slots of a certain level (especially low-level) with the same spell

- choose only the feats you are going to use in the encounter, spend the others in stuff like toughness or +2 ST, or otherwise assume Skill Focus(basketweaving)

Does this result in an easier encounter than it should be? If so, award -10% xp.

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
I have a folder on my laptop loaded with generic NPC's ranging from your stereotypical biker thug to your stereotypical robotic anti-tank weapon.

When I need to pull an NPC out of my hat, this gives me lists of stats & abilities & equipment & the bonuses / damage / ranges ETC for said equipment; I just need to slap on a name and appearance and I'm good to go.

The total list's a couple of hundred long; the fact that the guy they're dealing with now has the exact same stats and hardware as someone they fought 4 sessions ago isn't the sort of thing my players seem to notice, or be bothered by if they do.

diaglo

Adventurer
molonel said:
What tricks do you use? By tricks, I mean anything including but not limited to cards for buffs, software or homebrewed tricks.

i don't referee d02. it cuts down on my NPC prep time by immeasurable amounts.

Remove ads