• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What version of D&D is your favourite to play (expanded poll)

What version of D&D is your favourite to play?

• Original D&D (pre-supplements)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Original D&D (with supplements, esp. Greyhawk)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Basic D&D, 1st edition (Eric J. Holmes)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Basic D&D, 2e + Expert D&D (Moldvay/Cook)

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Basic D&D, 3e - BECM (Mentzer), or Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • Advanced D&D - 1st edition

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • Advanced D&D - 1st edition with Unearthed Arcana

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • Advanced D&D - 2nd edition

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Advanced D&D - 2nd edition with Player's Option

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons - 3rd edition

Votes: 21 5.8%
  • Dungeons & Dragons - 3.5e

Votes: 231 63.3%
  • Other

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • None

Votes: 5 1.4%

Xyanthon

First Post
AD&D 1e pre UA is my prefered edition. The rest I like for varying reasons and find them fun to play. However, I don't think anything will ever beat 1e for me.

Chupacabra

First Post
Although I spent (wasted?) countless hours of my life playing 1.0 & 2.0, I genuinely prefer 3.0/3.5. I like the crunchy bits of tactics and character creation and development. There is plenty of crud too in 3.X that I just house rule out of existance.

I voted "other," but really, I've enjoyed most of the permutations.

But if I had to pick my plateau, it'd be the following:

-Basic D&D (even now I'm impressed by how well-done those books are, judging the art, the rules, and the enticement factor)

-AD&D 2e, excluding Player's Option stuff (since I spent the most amount of years playing it)

- Castles & Crusades (Different name, but it's still what I wish 3e had been, and is just as much a part of the D&D legacy, in my opinion)

I'm trying to be more open to 3e, I really am. There are plenty of things I can admit to liking, now. But compared to past editions, it doesn't have the mileage of fun and enjoyment.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I voted "other" because while my game was originally based on 1e with UA before UA existed (in other words, it was based on 1e plus some of the various DragMag articles that ended up *becoming* UA), it has since been houseruled so extensively as to almost be its own edition...but is still quite recognizably old-ish school (A)D+D.

Lanefan

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
"Other" I enjoy each version of D&D equally, except 2E with or without options. I thought the release of 2E was useless. They just repackaged stuff I already had and took away options. Then kits came along - OK concept - no balance - horrible. I don't even want to talk about Player Options - :mad:

Wormwood

Adventurer
It was a tough decision, but 3.5 won out over Moldvay Basic in the end.

Probably because I haven't played Basic D&D in over 20 years, and I'm not sure how much of my fondness for it is rooted in nostalgia.

3.5 however, managed to impress the much more critical adult that I have become.

Last edited:

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Storm Raven said:
I have played almost all the editions listed in the poll. Some, like 1e, OD&D, and 3e, I played fairly extensively.

However, I said "other", since, like several others who have posted here, my preferred edition is a hybrid between 3.0e and 3.5e.

How do you hybridize the same game with itself? Rather, what is the same game mechanically. I mean I'm really curious. Are there that many differences between 3.0 and 3.5?

Raven Crowking

First Post
thedungeondelver said:

How do you hybridize the same game with itself? Rather, what is the same game mechanically. I mean I'm really curious. Are there that many differences between 3.0 and 3.5?

Don't know about Storm Raven, but I could easily see one using the 3.5 races and classes while keeping the 3.0 weapons, spells, and combat rules.

RC

Remove ads