• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was the first Dungeons and Dragons rule system you used?

Your first edition?

• Chainmail (Domesday Book/Guidon Games)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outdoor Survival (Avalon Hill)

• Challenger Series (boxed set)

• AD&D - The Complete Starter Set (AD&D 2nd edition, yellow box)

• Classic D&D Game (multicolour box)

• D&D Adventure Game (AD&D 2nd edition starter version)

• D&D Basic Game (revised 3.5 30th anniversary starter box)

• GSL

• Pathfinder

• D&D Essentials (4th edition red box starter/compendium)

• Pathfinder Beginner Box

• D&D 5th edition

• Other

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I tried placing the basic entrypoints in first release order, but obviously that has little to do with how people get into the game. You could have been born in 1995, and still have gotten into D&D with 1st edition AD&D (or born in '70 and started with the 4th ed. red box).

You can pick 5th edition if the playtesting going on right now really is your first D&D system.

Cue someone saying I missed something essential. =)

You missed Dungeon! and the first cartoon, which were both kinda my introduction.

But I voted 2e because it was my first real experience with D&D.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I got started when the 1e PHB had come out, but the DMG hadn't. The DM was a friend's older brother who had the wood grain box, which is presumably how he did combat.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
My first D&D rules were the Finnish Mentzer basic set, bought from a friend at school back in 4th or 5th grade. He had the new Runequest set, and we used to alternate between which we used.

darjr

I crit!
The first rule set I used was the Moldvay Basic. Though the first time I saw D&D it was the Holmes box that some kids at school were playing during break.

Remove ads