• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What will be the content of Dungeonology

bmfrosty

Explorer
Last June (I think) we saw the announcement of four products - Storm King's Thunder, The D&D Coloring book, Dungeonology, and Volo's guide to monsters.

We know what's in SKT, the Coloring Book, and we have a pretty good idea that Volo's Guide will be a mixture of Fluff and Crunch.

Does anyone know what Dungeonology will be? Will it be entirely a fluff book? Officially, all I can find is a small blurb:

See the Forgotten Realms as you've never seen them before!
The world's most beloved role-playing game, Dungeons & Dragons, joins the legendary 'Ology series as Volo the Wizard takes you on an unforgettable journey to the Forgotten Realms. From the dreaming spires of Waterdeep to the frozen majesty of Drizzt Do'Urden's Icewind Dale, and from the despicable Underdark to the mysterious Underchasm, you'll learn the history, secrets, and wonders of this incredible world.

Does anyone have any more information than that?

CapnZapp

Legend
Format: Hardcover comic

Also, this: "it's NOT a gaming book in the traditional sense. It's an OLOGY book set in the current-day Forgotten Realms, and it's not meant for older gamers but for young readers who might be curious about D&D."

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=16421&p=184253#p184215

Wonder if the "ology" bit refers to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ologies_(series)

There is a website, http://www.ologyworld.com/ but when I just tried to visit it, I get a "not enough space on the disk" error :p

All of the above courtesy of a quick googling... :cool:

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
This looks pretty cool. One of my kids loves the -ology series and has already asked for this for his birthday. I will say that I'm surprised at the breadth of the book, at least judging by the review. I would have maybe preferred more of a how-to on exploring dungeons and the challenges you might face. Still looks great, though.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
It's basically a children's introduction to D&D. In 30 or so pages, it briefly explains the core classes and races, using the same art from the PHB. No mechanics or gameplay rules, just fluff.

Lanliss

Explorer
Ok, I have a few Ology books, so here is what they normally have. A lot of pop outs and openable compartments, little envelopes and pull tabs, all of it thematically tied to whatever the book is about. Pirateology had some doubloons in it, and taught how to play liars dice. Egyptology taught how to play some ancient Egyptian form of Chess. I will say, they generally collect info from outside sources, not make their own, so do not expect any new fluff on FR. It will be a kind of field guide, built using known information, and with a few fun things to interact with in the book.

Remove ads