What will you do in your old age?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I thought AARP mailings were designed to insulate the sides of waste baskets, that's what I use them for (and yes, I get AARP crap too).

MechaPilot

Explorer
I will probably never retire, at least not fully. Being an accountant isn't a physically demanding job, so as long as I retain my mental faculties I will probably maintain at least a small tax return practice for extra cash.

One of the things that I definitely want to do is to establish a charitable trust, funded by the proceeds of my life insurance policy (I do not have a family of my own, and at this point in my life I don't plan on having one), that will provide grants for the development of technologies geared toward the exploration and settlement of space.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
My brother started as an accountant, 2 year degree, And he is saving to move to Belize as his retirement plan.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
American Association of Retired Persons.

It's a powerful political lobby, created to look out for the interests of people who have left the work force, and who may therefore need governmental help in sustaining them when they are no longer suited to provide for themselves.

In practice, it tilts the political playing field to the financial advantage of older members of society, such as I am.

Ah, thanks for the explanation, which pretty much explains why I never heard about it. So they try to garner members by their mailings?

Judging by other replies their works is not universally acclaimed...

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Ah, thanks for the explanation, which pretty much explains why I never heard about it. So they try to garner members by their mailings?

Judging by other replies their works is not universally acclaimed...

A couple of things:
(1) AARP sends out many physical mailings -- asking for donations, offering insurance plans, etc. -- so the volume of waste paper that the recipients need to throw away (or "recycle") is large. Many national organizations do the same: I have heard that the NRA ("National Rifle Association") does this as well; and of course any alumni get voluminous mailings from the universities from which they graduated. The volume of the mail is not a distinguishing characteristic of the AARP, because so many other groups follow the same practice; but it is a characteristic. If it irks a lot of people, that's because they mail to a lot of people.
(2) AARP lobbies (attempts to persuade) Congress for financial advantage for older people. Some of the results may be beneficial to the nation, but some of them may be obstacles to fairness.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
My problem with the AARP mailings is that they started a good 20 years before I should be a part of their demographic. I'd be just as non-plussed to regularly get subscription requests from Seventeen magazine.

Bullgrit

Ryujin

Legend
Funny, I used to get the odd email from AARP, until I reported them for spamming. It's not like a Canadian was going to be signing up, any time soon.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
A couple of things:
(1) AARP sends out many physical mailings -- asking for donations, offering insurance plans, etc. -- so the volume of waste paper that the recipients need to throw away (or "recycle") is large. Many national organizations do the same: I have heard that the NRA ("National Rifle Association") does this as well; and of course any alumni get voluminous mailings from the universities from which they graduated. The volume of the mail is not a distinguishing characteristic of the AARP, because so many other groups follow the same practice; but it is a characteristic. If it irks a lot of people, that's because they mail to a lot of people.
(2) AARP lobbies (attempts to persuade) Congress for financial advantage for older people. Some of the results may be beneficial to the nation, but some of them may be obstacles to fairness.
(3) AARP also airs a lot of time on the TV, so mailing and internet are not the only ways they advertise.

Ryujin, do you frequent sights from the US? They may have spammed you because of that. Just guessing.

Remove ads