What world was the original Ravenloft 'supposed' to be set in?

Korgoth

First Post
Emirikol said:
What world was the original Ravenloft 'supposed' to be set in?

jh

Maztica!

Sorry. Actually, I think that I6 was meant to be in your world, whatever that was.

There was a lot of goofy stuff that came after this module, but the module itself is a classic. It even contains NPCs that you're not supposed to kill!

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
It was the original Demiplane of Dread. It was designed as a demiplane so it could be attached to any world/setting. If the Hickmans had a specific world in mind when they wrote the adventure, it was probably whatever world they used in their own games when they playtested it. At least, that's my best guess.

Huw

First Post
Quoted straight from the module;

"The PCs start their adventure in an old inn, a few hours march east of the gates of Barovia."

In short, generic inn in generic world. Once they get into Barovia, the fog stops them leaving, but there's no indication it's on another plane. The demiplane of Ravenloft concept comes later.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Right, it was never intended to be another plane. The opening text mentions "another nameless province" so it's assumed the Inn and the village of Barovia are on the very edge of whatever civilized lands the heroes are adventuring in.

Cheers,
Cam

Treebore

First Post
Its own thing. They put suggestions for where it could be in Greyhawk and Mystara in Dragon mag, but its always been its own little world.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I think that Known World (Mystara) and Greyhawak were the only 2 TSR settings back then...and I'm pretty sure Mystara was the default for Basic D&D...so that leaves Greyhawk.

But, as has been noted, it was left to place wherever you wanted in whatever world your guys called home.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

My plan was to put it high in the Howling Hills in the WORLD OF GREYHAWK but then I decided that it didn't really fit with that setting at all. If I ever run it I'll likely do like was done with X2 CASTLE AMBER and make it an extension of its own plane.

Remove ads