What world was the original Ravenloft 'supposed' to be set in?

Klaus

First Post
Huw said:
Quoted straight from the module;

"The PCs start their adventure in an old inn, a few hours march east of the gates of Barovia."

In short, generic inn in generic world. Once they get into Barovia, the fog stops them leaving, but there's no indication it's on another plane. The demiplane of Ravenloft concept comes later.
Bingo.

Q: What world was I6: Ravenloft set in?

A: Your world.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
It was supposed to be in the Demi-plane of Dreams. But the Dark Powers didn't wanna share with those cutesy pinky peoples. :p ;)

Rhun

First Post
Klaus said:
Bingo.

Q: What world was I6: Ravenloft set in?

A: Your world.

Exactly. Both the original I6 and the continuation in I10 come before the whole "Demiplane of Dread" concept and Ravenloft Campaign Setting.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
In the original draft of I6, Barovia was supposed to be a small town in Wisconsin. True story.

Yep...and was Strahd's name orignally gonna be Red Foreman? :p

"OK adventurers, get ready, now I'm gonna cast "Tenser's Floating Foot in Your Ass"

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Thunderfoot said:
Didn't they try and stuff into the Forgotten Realms after the "I" series and before the "demiplane of dread" stuff?

I don't think so, but I may be wrong.

They definitely stuffed the "Desert of Desolation" series (I3-5) into the FR, but, once again, it's originally its own setting, not related to any published world.

Cheers!

Korgoth

First Post
MerricB said:
I don't think so, but I may be wrong.

They definitely stuffed the "Desert of Desolation" series (I3-5) into the FR, but, once again, it's originally its own setting, not related to any published world.

Cheers!

They did do that with DoD... very strange. They didn't with I7 (Baltron's Beacon), but I don't have anything later than that in the I series. They also set the last two in the N series (Treasure Hunt and Under Ilefarn) in Forgotten Realms, although Ilefarn looks like it was written specifically for that (could be wrong, though).

The 1E Realms stuff isn't that bad, really (although it does tend to have that preponderance of ultra-level NPCs sitting around everywhere, as well as that "every culture ever" thing... two points on which I think it is rightfully criticized). I definitely prefer the 1983 Greyhawk box, though (but I would argue that Greyhawk got ruined worse than Realms got ruined by later material... I find a lot of later Realms stuff annoying, but not entirely "un-Realms" in character).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Shadowslayer said:
Yep...and was Strahd's name orignally gonna be Red Foreman? :p

"OK adventurers, get ready, now I'm gonna cast "Tenser's Floating Foot in Your Ass"

Now THAT'S funny! :D lol! :)

Remove ads