• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Would Be In A Succubus' Study?

On reflection, I think it really depends on the tone of your game. Whether you want horror, dark comedy, or intrigue. And how early you want the PCs to look in the study (i.e. before or after they know "he" is a succubus). In other words, the narrative function of the study.

coyote6

Adventurer
Some kind of forbidden/banned book -- an erotic novel (or series of them) written to entice readers into depravity. The books also contain encoded instructions for rituals to entreat and honor Grazzt, Socothbenoth, Malcanthet, or whichever demon lord she serves.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
A year, eh? Plenty of time for the succubus to have conceived a child by the now-murdered Count. Perhaps she wants the little half-fiend (alu-demon) to lay claim to the Count’s inheritance.

This is an extremely interesting idea. She could conceal the pregnancy by shapechanging. It also gives the players an interesting moral quandry when they figure it out; what to do with the half-demon offspring?

Thanks for all the quality replies! I'm definitely going to have some women's clothing in a wardrobe past the main wardrobe, and I want to fire trap a drawer in the study; it seems like a suspicious thing for an ordinary noble to do.

Rechan

Adventurer
Personally, I think a succubus's power to change her appearance would encompass glamor for clothing. Clothing is something a lowly doppelganger has to worry about, not something as powerful as a Demon of Temptation and Confusion. I mean, if her target's desire is a schoolgirl, she shouldnt' need to run out and buy the uniform, she should just bamf into it.

One thing to keep in mind: she is a demon. She is not alive. Therefore, there are likely things that the living would leave around that just aren't there. The bathroom hasn't been touched in months. There are no hairs, fibers, etc on the floor, no grooming kits, no nothing. A living shapeshifter would at least leave something behind, because it has hair and skin and bodily functions. Pointing this out might suggest to the PCs that the noble is an illusion, or something else (vampire, lich, etc).

Books on where and what she's impersonating (research material for things she should just know).
I say this should go in there. Extensive notes on the noble's history, his likes and dislikes. In list format, or in bite sizes for memorizing. "Why does the noble have listed how he likes to order his roast duck?"

A year, eh? Plenty of time for the succubus to have conceived a child by the now-murdered Count. Perhaps she wants the little half-fiend (alu-demon) to lay claim to the Count’s inheritance.
Or the corpse of the alu-demon infant. She's just as likely to just kill it than leave it alive.

Some kind of forbidden/banned book -- an erotic novel (or series of them) written to entice readers into depravity. The books also contain encoded instructions for rituals to entreat and honor Grazzt, Socothbenoth, Malcanthet, or whichever demon lord she serves.
Or books that either 1) have bound demons/devils in them, intentionally made to possess the reader, or 2) powerful Suggestive magic that isn't just entice, but literally corrupt the reader. Hell, she could be writing such a thing.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
An ancient, illustrated manuscript, in a long-forgotten tongue. The story details the careful corruption of a champion of good, describing the various events leading to his downfall at the hands of his mistress. The society depicted is from long ago, long dead. The age and detail of the manuscript would make it very valuable. She's quite proud of this accomplishment.

Love letters from the father. Perhaps burned in the fireplace. A ring or other piece of woman's jewelry, with the inscription "To my love, (initials of father)."

Unfinished letters, in different handwriting.

A beautiful ivory and silver hairbrush.

perhaps the books on the bookshelf "shout out" "only a man would read us", but what man really have only books such as those in his bookshelf? Plus a display with oversized weapons (we all know men like big weapons) and large amounts of alcohol (we all know men are alcoholics).

Perhaps there are some items chaoticly laying around, because we all know that men can't keep their room cleaned up. But after a short examination, it could became obvious, that the disorderously laying items are carefully planted there to only look like a mess?

I like the concept -- female overcompensating at appearing male.

But to overcompensate at being a male medieval noble? Not so easy. Perhaps a lute (for wooing the ladies), and a collection of romantic poetry (same purpose)?

Expensive alcohol makes sense.

Lots of sports gear -- fencing, riding gear, horseback hunting gear, and books on hunting lore?

Way too much of the latest fashions in men's noble clothing, with an emphasis on tight pants with large codpieces and shirts that show off chest hair -- and large gold medalions, 1970s lounge lizard style?

Anything else that scream Hugh Hefner would work.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
The idea of over-compensating towards the male side of things would be too subtle, I think. Especially with a character like Festaud il'Sook, who is renowned for being a bit of a ladies man, throwing huge parties, liked by everyone, and fabulously rich, he's meant to be a bit larger than life already.

There's been some amazing suggestions in here, though. I will definitely be including some books. That illuminated manuscript would be a great touch. I have some letters written in Supernal hidden in a trapped drawer (a fire trap, to destroy it if the adventurers are careless), and the women's clothing is too good to pass up. I figure conjured clothing is never as good as actual clothing, so if she's got the time to change, she will.

Furthermore, the child will be alive and well, aging a year every month. So currently, she looks like she's 3. I figure the long-term plan is for the young demon to mature, then assassinate and replace the Countess, giving Festaud control over her immense holdings. For the succubus, the idea is fun for its subterfuge more than the wealth, but that's nice too.

Aran Thule

First Post
Personally, I think a succubus's power to change her appearance would encompass glamor for clothing. Clothing is something a lowly doppelganger has to worry about, not something as powerful as a Demon of Temptation and Confusion. I mean, if her target's desire is a schoolgirl, she shouldnt' need to run out and buy the uniform, she should just bamf into it.

Very true but the clothes make things easier to avoid discovery.
Its hard to remove coats, gloves ect when they are a part of you.

Rechan

Adventurer
Also if my character found a closet full of woman's clothing in a compartment of a nobleman's study, my first suspicion is he's a crossdresser, not a shapechanger. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads