• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would people with these Intelligence scores act like?

Loonook

First Post
An Intelligence check doesn't really do a mecha build justice. Just figure out how much a similar Golem would cost, and then Craft it using a Craft (Tech) check of some sort with information based on plans you have drafted. Of course the plans will be their own making... And its going to take quite some time to make them... But if you wish to go that route go nuts :).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Sekhmet

First Post
An Intelligence check doesn't really do a mecha build justice. Just figure out how much a similar Golem would cost, and then Craft it using a Craft (Tech) check of some sort with information based on plans you have drafted. Of course the plans will be their own making... And its going to take quite some time to make them... But if you wish to go that route go nuts :).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

I think he was referring to the idea of inventing them from scratch entirely. A mechanical, computerized, internally powered exoskeleton is something entirely different to a golem.

In D&D terms, that Craft check would be Craft: Robotics, Craft: Computers, Craft: Blacksmithing, Profession: Engineering, Knowledge: Physics, Knowledge: Mathematics, and I'm sure I could think of a dozen more to tack on.

It would take an entire team of people to come up with the idea, design, and create from scratch, or just one guy with the right tools and a high enough intelligence to not need more than a rank in any of them. A 26 (+8) would be enough to make most checks with a Take 10.

Loonook

First Post
I think he was referring to the idea of inventing them from scratch entirely. A mechanical, computerized, internally powered exoskeleton is something entirely different to a golem.

In D&D terms, that Craft check would be Craft: Robotics, Craft: Computers, Craft: Blacksmithing, Profession: Engineering, Knowledge: Physics, Knowledge: Mathematics, and I'm sure I could think of a dozen more to tack on.

It would take an entire team of people to come up with the idea, design, and create from scratch, or just one guy with the right tools and a high enough intelligence to not need more than a rank in any of them. A 26 (+8) would be enough to make most checks with a Take 10.

keepwalking_golem-vs-mech.jpg

They do look a lot different when you put them beside each other.

Iron Golems are hollow, based on math... Of course clay golems are not, but the weight of an iron golem makes them hollow.

The space within a large golem could quite easily contain a humanoid. And a Shield Guardian-style control system fixes all of your issues.

In a D&D setting you can, again, price out the cost of a golem, bind a spirit of intellect or element into a large suit of armor... And you have a mech.

Or you can actually look up the prices for mechs in a sourcebook that has them... Like D20 Future. Which lists the price of a Mech, if you use their conversion of Dollar Costs to GP, to be around...

The same cost as a Golem of comparable size :D.

Or you can create a really complex series of rules to solve an issue that is resolved internally within d20 sourcebooks.

Your call.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=1861]Loonook[/MENTION] Again, you're simplifying the idea of a large robot. Even being hollow, and even placing a person inside of, an Iron Golem is still a magically autonomous creature, rather than an interdependent husk.

Loonook

First Post
[MENTION=1861]Loonook[/MENTION] Again, you're simplifying the idea of a large robot. Even being hollow, and even placing a person inside of, an Iron Golem is still a magically autonomous creature, rather than an interdependent husk.

Interdependence (Ex): The Hollow Golem requires a controller. The controller must be a size category smaller than the Hollow Golem. The operator gains bonus HP equal (1+Size over Large)*100, and the operator gains the ability to use the Hollow Golem's current suite of powers.

Item Slots (ex): The Hollow Golem has 7 slots for sizes up to Large, +4 per size category. Check with DM for available items.

There you go... The entirety of D20 Future's mech construction requirements added as 2 short blips on an Iron Golem. There is no interdependency in the Mecha rules... You pretty much put on a suit of armor, an enormous amount of bonus HP, etc.... No Checks are really required. The items available will vary depending on equipment.

And again, can I really 'simplify' something that doesn't exist? A D&D game that has Hollow Golems vs. one that has Mecha has no actual differences between them. A medieval craftsman will not have access available to the hundreds of required chemicals and components to make a Mech... But any Wizard with a Golem Manual, the appropriate level, and some Craft skills in Armorsmithing could make this.

Or you can just decide that someone has created plastics, vulcanization, circuitry, heavy elements, nuclear science, etc. to produce a Gundam. One fits within the rules, one doesn't fit within any kind of verisimilitude.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=1861]Loonook[/MENTION]: The very fact that he was interesting in figuring the amount of intelligence required suggests that he was interested in scientifically (rather than magically) inventing robotics.

"Magic did it" should not be your default answer to everything, it is no better than the "God did it" idea that held back Science for millenia.

Loonook

First Post
[MENTION=1861]Loonook[/MENTION]: The very fact that he was interesting in figuring the amount of intelligence required suggests that he was interested in scientifically (rather than magically) inventing robotics.

"Magic did it" should not be your default answer to everything, it is no better than the "God did it" idea that held back Science for millenia.

And something we cannot currently create (an autonomous mechanized suit) cannot be quantified by how many additional skill ranks an individual gets. Intelligence of a creature doesn't auto-equate to the ability to produce plastics, nanopolymers, and a hundred things we do not know about to make these things...

Mechs don't come into play until a PL higher than current Earth Standard (PL 4 I believe is our current level) and D&D without magic is at about a PL 2-3. But alright... Again, the person without magic can come up with the ideas of what he wants to make, but has no way of putting it into practice in a lifetime.

Or he could make a hollow golem. Which is completely within the timeline, 'tech' and the PL.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

TrueSpade

First Post
Well, earlier when I brought it up, I did say "assuming you had the materials you needed." But I know what you mean.

I think the ultimate weapon in fantasy could be just mixing high tech with powerful magic.

I thought of that "Hollow Golem" bit a while back too lmao my DM entertained the idea once, letting my Wizard pilot an Iron Golem for a special session, it was pretty fun. On the chest we made a wall of force so he could peer out, and he had a "Bracelet of Airbreathing" we just made up.

The reason I said Gundam earlier is because I thought that was pretty far along hahaha. Even making a lightsaber would be pretty gnarly since its a laser that comes out and stops. (But we already got Mindblades for that hahaha)

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
In the interest of the original post, I looked at Deities and Demigods.

Boccob has an INT of 50. Wee Jas appears to be in close second with an INT of 47. Quite a few of the more combat or nature deities have INT scores between 24 and 25, which PC's can surpass with an intentional build.

I don't think D&D has a category for much higher than 50. Once you do that, you surpass the god of Arcane Knowledge.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads