What would Ryan Dancey do?

Glyfair

Explorer
Mark CMG said:
Hasn't someone already lit the Dance-Signal? Rather than speculate on how RD will speculate, I think he will let us know soon enough. :)
I've been checking his blog periodically, but haven't seen any reference to it (or any updates since the announcement).

The following RPG game designer's blogs have covered it: Erik Mona (of course), Matt Forbeck, Ari Marmell(sp? - Mouseferatu), Shannon Applecline & Wolfgang Baur (and probably a dozen more not on my regular browsing list).

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Glyfair said:
I've been checking his blog periodically, but haven't seen any reference to it (or any updates since the announcement).

The following RPG game designer's blogs have covered it: Erik Mona (of course), Matt Forbeck, Ari Marmell(sp? - Mouseferatu), Shannon Applecline & Wolfgang Baur (and probably a dozen more not on my regular browsing list).

Monday is a big day for that sort of thing, no? Maybe I'll plunk out an opinion piece on this whole situation myself. Keep an eye on (the new*) CMG site for wanton speculation, industry-insider ramblings, and all the news that's print to fit!

*It looks similar to the old site but has a whole new underlayment. Be sure to sign up anew if you had an old account or even if you just want to make use of the crazy, cool features like commenting back on my decidedly biased views or giving me the occasional attaboy! :)

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Declare that the magazines were splitting the fanbase and that the new online method will make it easier for everyone to be playing the same game, same campaign setting, and same adventures. ;)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Ryan: So after all is said and done, do you think Dragon (and Dungeon) could be reborn, or is this the kind of thing that once you pull the plug, it would be too difficult to restart?

ashockney

First Post
Quote:
I think that there’s a transition looming for tabletop RPGs, where computers become hybridized with the pen & paper environment. I’ve believed that for a long, long time. D&D in particular is a tabletop game that stretches the envelope of what most people can cope with in terms of complexity and depth of required knowledge. A little digital assistance would go a long way towards making the play experience more fun for a lot of people.

Please elaborate. :D

Does this in any way relate to your thoughts that there will be a "new" gaming type that may emerge in 2007?

Do you feel this transition is/may be related to 4th edition?

Mark has layed out several key moves that would indicate a 4th edition will be announced in the next 12 months. Do you agree?

Could there be a move afoot to eliminate the most difficult component of the rpg gaming market, the distributor? Pros? Cons? What impact could this herald for the FLGS?

Is it possible that the folks at Wizards are moving from the "old" D&D gang of 80's players to the "new" demographics that may be emerging around their cards and miniatures games? Or even the MMORPG markets?

Erratic K said:
His notes on D&D don't seem to have quite the vision I'd expect from the brand manager of D&D at a turbulent time (revoking the license for and apparently cancelling the magazines for the fans). I'm sure he's qualified and good with projects, and great at promotion or marketing- except for on the GI Joe TCG. No offense to Scott, but his credentials are nice but not stellar, and his vision is not the revolutionary stuff of the most successful brand manager of D&D, Ryan Dancey.
Is there an urgent need for revolutionary handling of the D&D brand at the moment? I honestly think evolutionary rather than revolutionary is probably a good move at this point.

I don't know that I'd call this a "turbulent time" for the brand either. While the migration of Dragon and Dungeon magazines to some kind of online content service is a bit bigger of a move than, say, the release of The Book of Nine Swords or what have you, it's not exactly rocket science. You make it sound like the brand is undergoing some kind of really dramatic churn, which honestly I'm not seeing myself.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Erratic K said:
I would not announce the Paizo license pull until the time to do 4E.

Hm. I dunno. Given how folks have occasionally reacted to the idea of a new edition at all, that's making it an even more difficult pill to swallow.

It seems to me that innovative attempts to develop and use online resources more effectively might be a good way to keep up a useful new revenue stream without moving to a new edition.

Remove ads