• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would WotC need to do to win back the disenchanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Obviously, I agree with you in principle. But, honestly, I don't think there is any action a PC or NPC can take in 3E that the same PC or NPC can not take in 4E.

That is the beauty of RPGs, and of the base idea that the system serves the setting, not the other way around.

The pertinent question, IMHO, is "Does a game support this base idea, or not?" For example, if the game has problems if a power only works when it makes sense within the context of the setting, then that game does not support the idea that the system serves the setting.

An example of this is the oft-mentioned CaGI, where the power works regardless of whether or not it matches the NPCs/monsters affected, or the circumstances. How do you CaGI a construct that follows a preprogrammed set of instructions? How do you CaGI a swarm of pirhanna out of the ocean and up onto land? How does a push power work on a creature physically too heavy to push? (In the case of this last question, I have heard "Perhaps it was always there" as a response....In which case, Why use a grid?) How do you yell a dying man back on his feet.....And, once that initial surge of adrenalin is gone, why doesn't he collapse again?

That these problems exist isn't the real problem, though. As has been rightly pointed out, all editions of D&D have had similar problems.

The real problem, IMHO, is that, in prior editions, the DM was supposed to adjudicate the rules in order to correct these problems. In 4e, over and over, I have heard that the DM who corrects these problems is doing something wrong.

And that is where the problem lies. If the setting leads to the mechanics, then correcting the mechanics to the setting is a good thing. If the mechanics lead to the setting, it is expected that the setting will shift to match what the mechanics do.

Nothing WotC has put out indicates anything other than an expectation that the setting will shift to match what the mechanics do.

Or, if they have adjusted this philosophy, I haven't seen it.....And would like some info on where to find it.

RC

Last edited:

That these problems exist isn't the real problem, though. As has been rightly pointed out, all editions of D&D have had similar problems.

The real problem, IMHO, is that, in prior editions, the DM was supposed to adjudicate the rules in order to correct these problems. In 4e, over and over, I have heard that the DM who corrects these problems is doing something wrong.

And that is where the problem lies. If the setting leads to the mechanics, then correcting the mechanics to the setting is a good thing. If the mechanics lead to the setting, it is expected that the setting will shift to match what the mechanics do.

Nothing WotC has put out indicates anything other than an expectation that the setting will shift to match what the mechanics do.

Or, if they have adjusted this philosophy, I haven't seen it.....And would like some info on where to find it.

RC

I must spread some XP around. That is a fantastic parsing of the rules serving the game principle.

Kaiyanwang

Adventurer
"You can make a bull rush as a standard action or as part of a charge, in place of the melee attack.". It requires me to build up a head of steam or stop trying to slice them open in order to push someone. That is the opposite approach to the one of crowding the enemy and taking their position and unbalancing them by being right up there in their face that Tide of Iron represents in this case.

Bull Rush is a maneuver I have chosen to do instead of trying to cut someone open. Tide of Iron is how I fight reflexively and doesn't hinder my trying to eviscerate someone.

OK.. tide of iron can do it better. Or least, can do it before. But this does not demostrates that there are things that 3.5/PF cannot do compared to 4th (the original point). You can say Tide>BR, not Tide>Shield Slam. And BR can be a good substitution if played smart.

Moreover, once a shield fighter hit level 6, he can full attacks. It can be immediately 2 "tides" per round. Think about a Shield Slam + Whirlwind Attack. I prefer 3.5/PF because if well combined, 2 "powers" become 4, 6 basing on the situation.

I have no problem with the feat. If I had a problem with OTT cinematic martial arts I wouldn't play 4e. It just doesn't do the job. I can get the big flourishes in 3e - but 4e gives me small ones of the sort that add richness.

You mean, you got more things at level 1 in 4th. Fair. 4th has the concept of sweet spot extended. But I prefer PC grow like they do in 3.5 pathfinder - and less options are better for newbies too (once the newb learned to smash people, he will learn to sunder, trip, disarm and so on).

You probably are in 4e as well. The marking just means that running or finding a new opponent means you die faster.

Not sure at the same rate. But this is, of course, a thing connected to the math of the game. I prefer more swingy combats, but, again, a matter of tastes.

Was fluff first and bad mechanical implementation IMO.

OK, but I decided my future buyings (for 4th edition: nr. 0) basing my decision even on these things (to stay on topic).

Again, that's fluff first and weaker mechanical resolution. Disarm shouldn't be in 4e other than as explanatory fluff from PCs and a very rare power.

See above. About disarm, myself, I remember an epic intimidate check of a Fighter in a former campaing. Made after 7 guardsmen disarmed in the same round. I can see how disarm should be difficult (so a feat/power depending from the edition) but IMO relegate it to fluff is way too much. Again, your tastes, that I respect.

You've just defined a minor plot device. Edit: In a number of RPGs I'd just call it plot points and have done.

OK - but a favor is not a spell (see the DC 30 lore check). So, assuming that they ae both plot devices (well, ANYTHING should be, following this reasoning), they will work differently. If they do not, I risk to kill my player immersion.

caelum

First Post
Imaro said:
Yay, I can spend more money to get monsters that work right in my game!! Just like skill challenges!!

Ahh..nice post. Very open discussion. Ok, OTOH you can look at a company that is trying new things and makes some mistakes and works to improve them...or you can just post like this.

Although Imaro made it in a flippant way, I think this is a valid point. Along with the change in rules, WotC changed their business philosophy with 4e. Probably due to the hue and cry over 3.0/3.5, they decided that comparable upgrades will just occur organically as periodic patches to the system. This leads to a continuous stream of "rules updates" - which are much bigger than errata, in some cases they reflect substantial changes in the underlying design. Like, for example, the change in monster damage.

I'm sure the response is that the new rules are accessible through DDI, but for a casual gamer who just wants to try the system out, that's not really a helpful option. (To WotC's credit, they don't charge for these kinds of thing - you can download the update documents for free. But errata are really hard to use unless you know them really, really well, so it is an unwieldy solution.)

I think that core rules should stand on their own, and at this point 4e's have been so heavily modified that they are unwieldy! Conveniently enough, Essentials is now about to come out and assemble the new rules in one source.

There's no good answer to this - certainly the rapid 3.0/3.5 update wasn't a good solution either. But it is a definite change, and one that many people find unattractive.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I expect our definitions are different. In my mind, "long term" is a relative thing.

In this scheme, a 10-year customer would be long-term, just as it would be for comics.

Ten years also seems to be about the lifespan of an edition, interestingly enough....

This makes sense...I don't like it;), but it makes sense.:)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I think that core rules should stand on their own, and at this point 4e's have been so heavily modified that they are unwieldy! Conveniently enough, Essentials is now about to come out and assemble the new rules in one source.

There's no good answer to this - certainly the rapid 3.0/3.5 update wasn't a good solution either. But it is a definite change, and one that many people find unattractive.

Even with DDI, a table-top RPG is not a piece of software. Constant patches and upgrades work for MMOs largely because most of the math is done behind the scenes and most people don't pay any attention anyway. TTRPGs don't work that way. The mechanics are more intimate.

But then, I think simplifying rules and speeding play and putting the fun back into the eyes 9and hands) of the beholders is the only real way to get back the "disenchanted". The only reason Pathfinder is a success and the retro-clones exist is because current D&D isn't "doing it" for a significant number of D&D players. That should be a major concern for WotC: people are getting their D&D fix elsewhere.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...To WotC's credit, they don't charge for these kinds of thing - you can download the update documents for free. But errata are really hard to use unless you know them really, really well, so it is an unwieldy solution...

You aren't kidding either. Did you see Morrus's attempt to incorporate errata into his PHB? He has an entertaining description here: Morrus attempts to update his PHB. :D

It reminds me of additions, corrections, and supplements that were made to T.O.'s (Technical Orders*) in the military. They would end up with dozens of extra inserted pages showing new text.

*T.O.'s, or Technical Orders are procedural and informational books used to operate and maintain technical systems and equipment...such as aircraft, ground support equipment, etc. They contain repair procedures, schematics, and operating information, etc. They can be anywhere from the size of a paperback book, to a 200 year old family bible.;)

Last edited:

Next comment I see about CAGI as representative of 4e is going to be met by a diatribe housecats and the way they can slaughter commoners and first level wizards as representative of 3e/PF. CAGI is a (rare) example of the mechanics falling short of the fluff. And there's a reason it's the one always brought up.

But, any good system should strive to create as accurate a model as possible. And, to me, this is far more important than the presence or absence of fudging.

Accurate or precise? Because I'm more than happy to give up some precision even with a little accuracy. (I own GURPS vehicles).

Again, roleplay on top of any system is not the question. The question is: how well does the system model the roleplay?

The question to me is: How well does the system support the roleplay. Modelling is just one of the steps towards supporting.

I don't play RM or Serenity, so no comment there. But I've been running 3E for a decade now. Your concerns listed don't apply, so they don't add to this conversation.

OK

Yes, a lot of things in D&D are not realistic, but they make sense in context of how things in the D&D universe are supposed to work. A lot of things introduced in 4E are not only not realistic, but are completely disconnected from how things are supposed to work in D&D.

And there we have our problem :) 4e is a new game.

I believe the term for this is versimalitude, and it is something that I find almost completely lacking in 4E.

And I find it far more present there than in many other games including 3e and PF - as I've mentioned, the default ability to move people when you do relevant things rather than have them just stand there goes a long way.

The pertinent question, IMHO, is "Does a game support this base idea, or not?" For example, if the game has problems if a power only works when it makes sense within the context of the setting, then that game does not support the idea that the system serves the setting.

And again, I'm pointing out the kinaesthetics, and wizards not needing crossbows. Oh, and fighters being able to protect people.

An example of this is the oft-mentioned CaGI

See above. And no one IIRC came up with a decent alternative to CAGI on the unrealistic power stakes.

(In the case of this last question, I have heard "Perhaps it was always there"

o_O

How do you yell a dying man back on his feet.....

Break him out of shock. And see Rocky for details of yelling someone dropping unconscious onto their feet.

And, once that initial surge of adrenalin is gone, why doesn't he collapse again?

The shock's gone and the blood's now flowing.

o_O

And very little of the 4e mechanics affect things outside a 100 yard radius of the PCs. 4e runs on Holywood Physics.

I think Dark Sun's giving it a go. I'll be interested in the output.

OK.. tide of iron can do it better. Or least, can do it before. But this does not demostrates that there are things that 3.5/PF cannot do compared to 4th (the original point). You can say Tide>BR, not Tide>Shield Slam. And BR can be a good substitution if played smart.

BR is not a good substitution. Because BR does something fundamentally different - it prevents you hitting people with your sword. BR is for throwing people around, not for almost unconscious bullying.

Moreover, once a shield fighter hit level 6, he can full attacks. It can be immediately 2 "tides" per round. Think about a Shield Slam + Whirlwind Attack. I prefer 3.5/PF because if well combined, 2 "powers" become 4, 6 basing on the situation.

Yes, I get it. Pathfinder Fighters are combat beasts. It's not effectiveness I'm talking about here - it's mechanical support for the way your character actually moves and thinks.

You mean, you got more things at level 1 in 4th. Fair.

Not the point. I mean that the PF fighter is incapable of fighting the way I fight with sword and board. The 4e fighter can - almost effortlessly. If a supposedly professional fighter is worse at a type of fighting than I am, something is going wrong.

Not sure at the same rate. But this is, of course, a thing connected to the math of the game. I prefer more swingy combats, but, again, a matter of tastes.

I meant that the 4e fighter would kill someone faster than he otherwise would if they try and escape. Not comparing the two fighters.

See above. About disarm, myself, I remember an epic intimidate check of a Fighter in a former campaing. Made after 7 guardsmen disarmed in the same round. I can see how disarm should be difficult (so a feat/power depending from the edition) but IMO relegate it to fluff is way too much. Again, your tastes, that I respect.

It's not all gone - I've regularly disarmed people using attacks meant to knock them prone (and instead they dive to pick up their weapon.)

OK - but a favor is not a spell (see the DC 30 lore check). So, assuming that they ae both plot devices (well, ANYTHING should be, following this reasoning), they will work differently. If they do not, I risk to kill my player immersion.

Or you just give Efreets Wishes.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads