• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you Play?

Valesin

First Post
Engilbrand said:
I have a secondary character in mind who is a tank. Go with a Human Incarnate from Magic of Incarnum. To truly tank, be Neutral Good. It's easy to have an AC over 20 at level 1 without really doing any min/maxing (if you're afraid of that).

What?? A 1/2 BAB class as a tank? Maybe I am unclear as to what 'tank' means...but I don't think so.

Abraxas

Explorer
Mistwell said:
Which Paragon? The Dwarf one, that gets you heavy armor proficiency, improved darkvision, improved bonus to save vs. spells, and +2 Con? I can see that being good for this build, though you lose out on spells, animal companion, second favored enemy, and improved combat style (and still won't enter Deepwarden until level seven, as you will need three levels of Ranger to get endurance, and three levels of Paragon to get the +2 Con).
That was the one - I'm wasn't as hip on getting the ranger spells - mostly because its not what I envisioned for the character, however, that being said . . . the Dm talked me into playing a warblade instead (because he wants to see how it plays I think)

So now I have

Lothar Kriegerheld
Human, Warblade
Str 16
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 11

Feats
Improved Unarmed strike
Ironheart Aura

Stances
Iron Heart Discipline
- Punishing Stance

Maneuvers
Diamond Mind Discipline
- Moment of Perfect Mind
Iron Heart Discipline
- Steelwind Strike
Tiger Claw Discipline
- Wolf Fang Strike

We played last night - boy is first level hysterical, I forgot how exciting it is to be scared of kobolds. I don't think I connected for the first half of the night, and then when I did - it was 1 hit, 1 kill :lol: Overall, I like the warblade, but I have to come up with some flashy combat language to describe his maneuvers.

We ended up with our Cleric (the only healer) and Barbarian in the negatives and unconcious for almost 24 hours at the end of the session.

If my character bites the dust - i'm going to try the elven fighter/CoC build next.

Seeten

First Post
Crusaders rock because Devoted Spirit is the bomb. Hitting people to heal yourself is the best ability outside of Timestop.

Yeah yeah, white raven gets timestop, I know, but hey! Crusaders get white raven too.

satori01

First Post
Wood Elf Knight/Champion of Correllion I always thought might be interesting. You will have a pretty high AC when you are done with it, which is not a bad thing.

If it was a gestalt campaign, a Crusader/Knight would be a monster. Use the Knight's Challenge abilities to call the monsters to you, use the Damage Pool feature of the Crusader to turn the damage you take into damage you give out, and heal yourself at the same time with the Devoted Spirit Maneuvers.

Use the Knight Bonus feats to go the Mounted Combat feat route, and see how the Spirited Charge feat synergies with the White Raven charge enhancing Maneuvers.

Seeten

First Post
satori01 said:
Wood Elf Knight/Champion of Correllion I always thought might be interesting. You will have a pretty high AC when you are done with it, which is not a bad thing.

If it was a gestalt campaign, a Crusader/Knight would be a monster. Use the Knight's Challenge abilities to call the monsters to you, use the Damage Pool feature of the Crusader to turn the damage you take into damage you give out, and heal yourself at the same time with the Devoted Spirit Maneuvers.

Use the Knight Bonus feats to go the Mounted Combat feat route, and see how the Spirited Charge feat synergies with the White Raven charge enhancing Maneuvers.

Also dont forget thicket of blades stance to force all enemies to attack you, or give you an AoO. Great with the Knight abilities to force AoO's

Thanee

First Post
Valesin said:
What?? A 1/2 BAB class as a tank? Maybe I am unclear as to what 'tank' means...but I don't think so.

The tank is the one that stands there and takes a beating while the casters finish the opposition off. :p

I'm not sure, why it is called a tank, really. More like a sandbag concept. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Engilbrand

First Post
They do have a d6 and poor BAB. So? They need Con before anything and have access to soulmelds that bump them up considerably. By 20th level, a Good Incarnate can have, easily, more hit points than a Fighter and an AC in the 50s without even trying. He can get it into the 30s without ANY magical gear. Being a tank is about a high AC and taking hits. He can do that quite easily. Add in the ability to get DR and Fortification pretty easily, and let's see him get dropped. Also, why the does the poor BAB even matter? Not only does he have things that bump that up, some of his better soulmelds are touch attacks. I had never paid the class much attention until sat down with it recently. They can seriously do a lot.

hanniball

First Post
While it's entirely dependant on party structure and starting level, Clerics can tank just as well as any warrior-type. If UA is allwed, the following build is both potent and thematic:

Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 4/Prestige Paladin 3/Fist of Raziel 10

Feats:
Power Attack, Mounted Combat, Servant of the Heavens, Divine Might, +3 open feats. +18 BAB, 19 Caster level, IIRC.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Lodow MoBo

First Post
Abraxas said:
Given that info and that I have the following ability scores to work with 16, 16, 15, 14, 13, 11 - what would you do?
So, any ideas?

the order can be finessed:
1 lvl priest (domains str and destruction)
3 paragon orc 1/2 orc
3 paragon human
the rest cleric.

you get +4 str from the two paragon classes

the feats I like Power attack, extra smite, practiced spellcaster and extra rage.

so at seventh lvl:
all martial and all armor
rage 3/time
smite 3/times
22 strength
three spell casting levels
7th lvl caster
with one bull str and a rage you have a str of 30 or +10 to hit and +15 to dmg with a two handed weapon. you will find that you can pump a lot of your bab into power attack. The is very true whenever you smite.

Remove ads