• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What would you put in monster manual 2?

Ugh, you're going to make me pull out my "100 monsters I would like to see in a MM2" list and actually type it in, aren't you?

But before doing that, I will echo the requests for more fey, especially evil fey, which are very much lacking in the MM. I'll also mention that celestials are also hugely neglected as well and need much wider representation - summon celestial has a ridiculously limited amount of potential celestials available in the MM. 4e seriously messed with the celestials as a group, especially eladrin and archons, and it would be nice to have that situation clarified (and hopefully reversed).

So, should I go ahead and do my 100 monsters list? :p

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
4e seriously messed with the celestials as a group, especially eladrin and archons, and it would be nice to have that situation clarified (and hopefully reversed).

They can have the situation clarified by ditching the Eladrin and throwing something better in there :p. Seriously, why are "Fey but more magical" the Chaotic Good celestials? Now, call them Sidhe, change them to Fey, and remove anything remotely approaching "Good" and we could be in business...

As for me...

- The inevitable 5 new dragons. Probably Gem dragons, but I'd prefer the other Chromatics and Metallics
- An absolute left-fielder, like the Flumph was. I'd like this to be the Digester from 3E, reimagined as somehow related to the Burbur. As in, it vomits Green Slime onto enemies to then digest them fly-style
- Quetzalcoatlus Northropi as the giraffe-sized murder stork that it is
- Draconians with their 4E additions

Probably some other stuff

werecorpse

Adventurer
Ugh, you're going to make me pull out my "100 monsters I would like to see in a MM2" list and actually type it in, aren't you?

But before doing that, I will echo the requests for more fey, especially evil fey, which are very much lacking in the MM. I'll also mention that celestials are also hugely neglected as well and need much wider representation - summon celestial has a ridiculously limited amount of potential celestials available in the MM. 4e seriously messed with the celestials as a group, especially eladrin and archons, and it would be nice to have that situation clarified (and hopefully reversed).

So, should I go ahead and do my 100 monsters list? :p

Bring it.

Also notes on things like The Wild Hunt; although that actually presupposes more of a Legends & Lore book.

Now that, I would buy, specifically for FR deities.

Radaceus

Adventurer
well I have already made most of the ones I want

... but...

Hybsil and Wemic (integral races in my own campaign...as well as add in Cat Lord)
Flind
Daemons/Demodands
Xag-yi/Xag-ya/Quasi-elementals
Atomie/Quickling/Brownie/Buckawn/grig
tasloi/grippli
More giant bugs! (especially subterranean)

definitely ecology blurbs

and the Traps and Terrain (encounters) handbook is a great idea!

Looking back, I asked this same question a year ago:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?465144-Monsters-for-a-Second-Monster-Book

A focus on higher level threats is pretty much a must, along with more templates and customization options.

I'd like to see a limit on the number of new dragons, devils, demons, and giants. Every MM seems to want to tack on a few of those, and 99% of the time they're superfluous.

There should be some more NPCs of course. There's a few archetypes missing, like the monk, skald, tavern brawler, innkeeper, as well as some higher level variants like a head priest, knight commander, high druid.

I got into the game with 2e and the Monstrous Manual, so there's a lot of monsters I think of as "classics" that haven't seen a lot of love in the past.

Allip
Aquatic elf
Assassin vine
Astral dreadnought
Aurumvorax
Barghest
Bodak
Boneclaw
Brain Mole
Carbuncle
Catoblepas
Cave fisher
Cooshee
Crabman
Crimson mist
Dark Creeper & dark stalker
Deamons/ Yugoloths
Demon, Bebilith
Derro
Devourer
Disenchanter
Dragon spawn
Feyr (or fihyr)
Firboolg
Flail Snail
Formians
Froghemoth
Giant, death
Gibberling
Girallon
Grippli
Hatori
Huecuva
Hippocampus
Ixitxachiti
Leprechaun
Living Wall
Mohrg
Mongrelman
Necrophidius
Nerid
Neogi
Neothelid
Nightshade
Nymph
Pech
Phase spider
Pheonix
Quickling
Retriever
Shadar-kai
Shocker Lizard
Sylph
Sons of kyuss/ larval mage
Tasloi
Trapper
Triton
Vargouille
Vegepygmy
Violet Fungus
Yellow musk creeper

That's a good 60-odd monsters. Which seems like a heck of a lot, being a good 100 pages or more. But still only a third of a book. Yikes!

Although, since I read that, the derro and Ixitxachiti appeared in Out of the Abyss and mongrelmen sound like they're in Curse of Strahd​ and I imagine a few other beasties will be in there.

And there was a pretty good list here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...r-Book/page4&p=6662267&viewfull=1#post6662267

Last edited:

Remove ads