D&D 5E What would you put in Volume 2 of Tales of the Yawning Portal

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I would include a new dungeon, one invented specifically for the book. Maybe one with nothing but traps and hostile spider monkeys...

Imagine a spider monkey barbarian/sorcerer.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
+1 for a Caves of Chaos - based area (maybe a mini-plane?)

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - based mini-plane, with a potential to get lost in Gamma World (maybe by starting the engines?).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's interesting that, given the bent towards nostalgia, that there are no BECMI adventures on the docket: I wouldn't be surprised to some B's in a future product, but the later letter series are more story involved and not dungeons only...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, they have two S-series, so wouldn't be surprised if the other two (four, if the 2E ones are included: 2E as a whole doesn't have many dungeons that would fit the mold, except "S5"and "S6"...).

The C-series looks plausible as well, given the nature of their origins (same as S and G...).

What other classic modules were tournament dungeons?

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
... and dinosaurs.

The Yawning Portal might dump you into a prehistoric swamp world.

Maybe one where you're hunted by an insane talking dinosaur who makes babbling, incoherent explanations of how his magic items work that are frankly impossible, yet somehow always work no matter what? And who keeps creating abominations of nature, including a mixed-species dinosaur hybrid with crystals attached to it that fire beams of energy?

Hrm...

Most of the larger or iconic are likely being held to serve as full adventures on their own. Stuff like Isle of Dread, Deserts of Desolation, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, or Queen of the Spiders.
So they wouldn't work.

From the 30 Greatest D&D adventures, a few would include:

Dwellers of the Forbidden City
Dark Tower
The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
The City of Skulls
The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
The Lost City
The Ghost Tower of Inverness

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hrm...

Most of the larger or iconic are likely being held to serve as full adventures on their own. Stuff like Isle of Dread, Deserts of Desolation, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, or Queen of the Spiders.

So they wouldn't work.

From the 30 Greatest D&D adventures, a few would include:

Dwellers of the Forbidden City

Dark Tower

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

The City of Skulls

The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

The Lost City

The Ghost Tower of Inverness

Saltmarsh and Forbidden City I actually see as AP material (undersea shenanigans, and Yuan-Ti insanity can go a long way...), even City of Skulls (Perkins has said he would like to do a Greyhawk story centered on Iuz, if they went there, which could draw in Tsojcanth even) or Tharizdun (foreshadowed in PotA, possibly)...and [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] pointed out on Twitter that Goodman Games currently has the rights to Dark Tower.

Those others wouldn't seem to be AP material (though a Curse of Strahd of Lost City looks plausible, based on what I have read) and would fit the bill.

Greg K

Legend
I am not sure about two volumes. Personally, I think Against the Giants should have been left out of Tales of the Yawning Portal and combined with D1-D3 and Q1 as a larger adventure path. Many other 1e adventures I would also combine into various adventure paths

My Yawning Portal, would have been:
  • B4: The Lost City
  • C1: Hidden Shrine of the Tamoachan
  • C2: Ghost Tower of Inverness
  • S1: Tomb of Horrors
  • S2: White Plume Mountain
  • S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (OK, personally, I don't like this module, but I would include it anyway)
  • I1: Dwellers of the Forbidden City
  • N1: Against the Cult of the Lizard God

If WOTC is going to update older modules to 5e, I think it was a mistake to include G1-G3: Against the Giants in the Yawning Portal. Those modules and others below, in my opinion should be grouped into Adventure Paths (as several were in 1e) by series

1. (Path name: ?): Those modules in this grouping were, apparently, intended to be connected
  • T1: The Village of Hommlet
  • T1-T4 Temple of Elemental Evil
  • S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
  • WG4: The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

2, Against the Giants (perhaps combined with D1-D3 and Q1 below)
  • G1: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
  • G2: Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
  • G3: Hall of the Fire Giant King

3. Queen of the Spiders (or combine this with Against the Giants)
  • D1: Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
  • D2: Hidden Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
  • D3: Vault of the Drow
  • Q1: Queen of the Demon Web Pits

4. Scourge of the Slave Lords)
  • A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity
  • A2: Secret of the Slaver's Stockade
  • A3: Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords
  • A4: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords

5. Desert of Desolation
  • I3: Pharoh
  • I4: Oasis of the White Palm