D&D 5E What would you put in Volume 2 of Tales of the Yawning Portal

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Personally, I think Against the Giants should have been left out of Tales of the Yawning Portal and combined with D1-D3 and Q1 as a larger adventure path.
So just a remake of Queen of the Spiders?

I might buy that if that actually stitched it together with the other modules that precede it, if for no other reason than to compare their version of doing that to my own work for a campaign a couple years back.

Greg K

Legend
So just a remake of Queen of the Spiders?

I might buy that if that actually stitched it together with the other modules that precede it, if for no other reason than to compare their version of doing that to my own work for a campaign a couple years back.

Damn, I didn't catch that in my editing. I meant to write either grouped alone or combined with the D series and Q1 (which is how I handled it lower in the post). Anyway, yeah, if taking the combined route , a reprint like Queen of the Spiders. Keeping the two separate doesn't keeps them feeling like shorter paths rather than a longer commitment, but combining them presents them in the longer intended path. The series have been presented both ways.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, it seems that they may have already broken up the band for GDQ (though we haven't seen the text yet, so who knows).

Perusing info on these old modules, it strikes me that Queen of the Demonweb Pits is the only module with comparable PC levels to Tomb of Horrors (other S series were lower level); I could see the Demonwebs, as an ultimate Cosmic dungeon, capping a book like this.

Remathilis

Legend
Funny how all this discussion is geared still around old Basic and 1e dungeons.

What out of 2e or later could go? A few contenders:

* Shattered Circle (2e)
* Heart of the Nightfang Spire (3e)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Corpsetaker

First Post
How about just use the massive dungeon that sits just below the Yawning Portal and stop using the name for anything else other than?

I mean you have Undermountain which contains many levels that can be broken down unto several dungeons all on their own.

gweinel

Explorer
How i would love a collection of Planescape adventures (with an update of all the plane/faction content into 5e).
I wouldn't mind this collection would be "The Tales of Infinite Staircase."

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Funny how all this discussion is geared still around old Basic and 1e dungeons.

What out of 2e or later could go? A few contenders:

* Shattered Circle (2e)
* Heart of the Nightfang Spire (3e)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How plot heavy are those adventures, or how detachable are the dungeons? It seems that there are broadly two types of adventures: those fit for AP expansion ala Strahd (Isle of Despair, War of the Lance, Desert of Desolation?), and those which are rather isolated standalones (Ghost Tower, Keep on the Borderlands, Labyrinth of Madness?): the first may be candidates for storylines, the latter for a product like this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How i would a collection of Planescape adventures (with an update of all the plane/faction content into 5e).
I wouldn't mind this collection would be "The Tales of Infinite Staircase."

Good idea, it also seems this book title alludes to that anthology.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How about just use the massive dungeon that sits just below the Yawning Portal and stop using the name for anything else other than?

I mean you have Undermountain which contains many levels that can be broken down unto several dungeons all on their own.

Undermountain may be the AL material this season, or a future AP. Just a framing device here.

Remove ads