• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Whatever "lore" is, it isn't "rules."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Running any campaign at all in any setting changes that setting. Introducing new heroes into a world and new problems and battles and villains and magic items and adventures in general changes the setting.

Oh but those changes are okay right? :footStompingSmiley

Here's the deal. Changes are inevitable. It's a matter of expectations. What do my players expect when I say we are going to play GreyHawk. As long as my players understand what I mean by that then all is well.

First, additions are not changes in the way we are talking about them. Introducing NEW heroes and NEW problems, etc. doesn't change existing canon. It adds to it. Second, I've said at LEAST a dozen times that changes through game play by the players is fine.

pemerton

Legend
But the story is what happens in play... not before. How in any way am I running someone else's story if I am using their backdrop for my stories? I'm not defensive... It just doesn't make any sense and I'm trying to understand what you even mean.
For my part, I have no difficulty understanding [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] on this point.

Backstory is part of the fiction. Sticking rigidly to canon is using someone else's fiction - in many cases established via their play - as the raw material of my own play. Some people like that, or think it's important. Others are less concerned with it, or actively dislike it.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
First, additions are not changes in the way we are talking about them. Introducing NEW heroes and NEW problems, etc. doesn't change existing canon. It adds to it. Second, I've said at LEAST a dozen times that changes through game play by the players is fine.

So you are fine with the DM adding a new God / Goddess? A new great city in a very noticeable location that has never been mentioned before? A new moon that's never been mentioned? An extra sun? A evil emperor that has taken over most of the known world?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So you are fine with the DM adding a new God / Goddess? A new great city in a very noticeable location that has never been mentioned before? A new moon that's never been mentioned? An extra sun? A evil emperor that has taken over most of the known world?

Congrats! You've demonstrated that anything taken to a ridiculous extreme is bad. That really doesn't invalidate what I'm saying, though.

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said he kept the maps and modern things the same, but changed all the history of Greyhawk.
Where I altered one small thing in a full setting, you've axed 95%+ of it and just kept the maps.
You say right there that the history doesn't matter much other than a few general events, and you change the details. You keep a few vague things and fill in the rest with what you feel like.
Maxperson, I strongly encourage you to work on your paraphrase.

You have asserted the above three things I've quoted. They are different - so which one are you intending to attribute to me?

Furthermore, none of them is an accurate account even of the part of my post that you highlighted:

But as far as history is concerned, I'll use the general tropes - ancient wars, Suel wizards who migrated east, etc, but won't bother with the details. For instance, I find the idea that GH's vikings are actually Suel migrants; or that the martial arts monks are actually survivors of the Suel Empire; too silly for words, and so I just ignore that stuff and use "real" (pulp) vikings and "real" (pulp) martial artists living atop a hidden plateau.

Ancient wars are not a "vague thing" - the Invoked Devastation and the Rain of Colourless Fire, as the culmination of a devastating conflict between the Suel and the Bakun empires, are very concrete things, and in my view are at the "pulp-y" heart of GH.

I've said that I don't sweat over the details. I've given examples of why I mean by details. In another post of mine - which you read, because you quoted it and highlighted some of it in your own post 223 - I used the term "minutiae":

What makes this game a GH one is the basic geography and history (Hardby is a city ruled by a magic-using Gynarch, across the Wooly Bay from the Bright Desert, which is populated by Suel tribesmen). Not the minutiae of canon: the details of the setting I make up as needed for play or determined during the course of play.​

I've given ample description of my game - how it uses history, what bits of history I disregard, what canon I am not interested in (eg most of the LG/Oerth Journal stuff), how the game works. Why don't you engage with that, instead of just making up (inconsistent) paraphrases?

The name is a direct tie in to DL. They were created for that setting.
The level title Strider is a direct tie-in to LotR. It was created, by JRRT, for his novel. That's the nature of pastiche.

Furthermore, the use of the name doesn't change the fact that my WoHS are based on the DL ones - and you are the one who said that "based on X" is not equivalent to "is X". Are you now resiling from your claim? Are you adding a caveat - that "based on X" is equivalent to "is X" if the proper name for X is maintained? (So, eg, the Tom Cruise movie War of the Worlds is and must be the same story as HG Wells', rather than something loosely inspred by it, because it happens to keep the same name?)

And to answer [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION]'s question, here is another account of WoHS in my GH game:

They are an ancient Suloise order of wizards, whose power is drawn from three moons - Celene, Luna, and an "invisible" (because of size, speed of orbit etc) black moon. The order is divided into three "branches" - White Robes, Red Robes and Black Robes, whose magical power is predominantly helpful stuff, elemental/trasmutation stuff, and destructive/necromantic stuff respectively. Each division of the order draws its power from one particular moon Celene, Luna and the black moon respectively), and the power waxes and wanes with that moon. The wizards live in towers (of High Sorcerery), and members join by taking a test. The order is governed by a Conclave of Wizardry.

The order is active primarily in the Great Kingdom and satellite lands - in practical terms, these are little-detailed in the GH lore c 1990; and in in-fiction terms, these are the lands of eastern Oerike which have the greatest enduring legacy of Suel culture (well, Keoland also, but in my game Keoland has its own idiosyncracies, and the wizards are found there but are not dominant as they are in the Great Kingdom).​

As I have said multiple times, nothing in there - nothing about magic, about history, about astronomy or astrology, contradicts Greyhawk canon c 1990.

Yes expectations vary from person to person. That in no way means that they don't exist. The mere existence of expectations based on what you portray to the players means that you really should take those expectations into account. The courteous thing to do is let players know if the Greyhawk game you are going to run is going to have changes to canon.
Some people, when they invite you to dinner, inquirte whether or not you eat meat. Others don't. Whether the failure to make the inquiry is discurteous or not depends extremely heavily on context. No blanket rule applies.

Likewise for many things.

Expectations differe from person to person. Not everyone has the same expectations that you and your friends do when someone suggests, "Hey, I'll run a game set in GH". For one thing, as I have emphasised several times and which you have not responded to, in 1990 the only D&D setting with anything like the degree of canon that you seem to take as a given was Dragonlance. GH canon was some modules, some Dragon articles on the disposition and movements of forces (they could have been reports from a wargaming club) plus the folio/boxed set. I posted the full canon of Hardby upthread (post 225) - here it is again:

[T]he heir [of the Landgraf of the Selintan] was wed to the daughter of the Gynarch (Despotrix) of Hardby, a sorceress of no small repute. Their descendants ruled a growing domain . . . In 498 it [Greyhawk] was declared a free and independent city, ruling a territory from Hardby . . . to the Nyr Dyv . . . These holdings have been lost over the intervening decades . . . The Despotrix of Hardby now pays tribute to Greyhawk to avoid being absorbed into the growing city state once again . . . Portions of the [Wild Coast] have been under the control of . . . the Gynarch of Hardby . . . at various times. (pp 23, 25, 41 of the Boxed Set Guide to the WoG).​

In the context in which I was running my game - expectations among that gaming community, what GH "canon" was in 1990 - it was absolutely taken for granted that a "GH game" would be a creative and not just a recitative endeavour on the GM's part.

Upthread you asserted this:

Those "details" comprise the vast, vast majority of canon. Keeping just the maps and a very broad detail or two about those maps is a trivial amount of lore.

Putting to one side that this, is yet again, an inaccruate paraprhase of my account of how I set up and run my game; and putting to one side that the sorts of details you have in mind ("What colour stockings does Nerof Gasgal wear?") DID NOT EXIST in respect of GH c 1990; this is nevertheless an idisoyncratic and hence contentious account of what constitutes a setting.

For some players - perhaps many players - the colour of stocking preferred by the Lord Mayor of the City of GH is absolutely irrelevant to what makes a game a GH game. Even if it is important to you.

pemerton

Legend
Congrats! You've demonstrated that anything taken to a ridiculous extreme is bad.
Just out of curiosity: would that include likening introducing one moon that is too small to be visible, to adding 10,000 moons that fill the night sky and block out the stars?

Or, perhaps, likening introducing a new order of wizards into GH to giving someone a balloon when they ask for a car?

As I said, just curious!

pemerton

Legend
priority does matter because once it's out there, it almost certainly in use somewhere. More popular items will obviously be used more often than less popular ones, but it's reasonable to expect that someone was using the archons as they appeared when they debuted in 2e and as they were in 3e. Their nature had been defined in the general setting. Utterly redefine what an archon is with a later edition and you add another way to break backward compatibility.
Nothing about 4e breaks backwards compatability. It is completely trivial to have the Seven Heavens/Mount Celestia populated by archons as described by Jeff Grubb.

This is especially so in the 4e context, where monsters only need stats if they are engaging in combat - non-combat resolution doesn't use monster/NPC statblocks, but single skill checks or skill challenges (see eg the DMG example of the negotiation with the duke; and notice how no stat block is needed for the duke). You do need to know the fiction of an NPC to run a skill challenge involving him/her - but anyone who wants to keep using celestial archons in his/her 4e game is, presumably, already quite familiar with that fiction.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Just out of curiosity: would that include likening introducing one moon that is too small to be visible, to adding 10,000 moons that fill the night sky and block out the stars?

Or, perhaps, likening introducing a new order of wizards into GH to giving someone a balloon when they ask for a car?

As I said, just curious!

Yes it would. Good thing I didn't do that. When I mentioned 10,000 moons, I was arguing that things not mentioned in canon are not proof that those things exist. Canon doesn't say that there aren't 10,000 moons. It wasn't a comparison of 1 against 10,000.

Similarly, when I mentioned the balloon and car, it was talking about expectations, not specifically Wizards of High Sorcery.

You know both of those things, though. This tactic is par for the course with you and [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION].

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Congrats! You've demonstrated that anything taken to a ridiculous extreme is bad. That really doesn't invalidate what I'm saying, though.

Invalidate is such a strong word... it definitely weakens your position though. Sometimes it's best to take the brick by brick approach ;)

Why does it weaken your position? Because you are conceding that there are additions that would break setting. No longer can you simply differentiate whether something breaks setting as a change vs an addition. You now must speak more nuanced regarding your thoughts. So tell me again, what do you believe breaks setting?

pemerton

Legend
Canon doesn't say that there aren't 10,000 moons.
It very strongly implies it, in virtue of saying expressly that the stars are visible in the night sky.

And the bigger point is that you are trying to argue that introducing one moon is an invalidation of canon on a par with introducing 10,000 moons - which is exactly the sort of "reductio by exaggeration" that you are identifying in [MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION]'s post.

when I mentioned the balloon and car, it was talking about expectations, not specifically Wizards of High Sorcery.
Given that the expectations that were being discussed were expectations about (i) GH campaigns, and (ii) sandwiches, the only reasonable inference to be drawn from your balloon/car example is that you think that is on a par with being told a campaign will be GH and then finding there are also WoHS, or being offered a Reuben sandwich and being given the variant that [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION] described.

To compare either of those things to being given a balloon in lieu of a car is "taking things to a ridiculous extreme".

This tactic is par for the course with you and [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION].
For someone who is obsessed by "tactics", I notice that you still haven't responded to my observation that you - over multiple posts - have falsely attributed to me "axing 95% of GH canon", "changing all the GH history", "GH history not mattering much".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads