• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's a giblet (sp??)

cousin_avi

First Post
During our last gaming session, one of the characters asked for a plate of giblets. What the heck is that, I thought it was some vegetable matter like collared greens. Am I close? The player looked at me strange when the bar maid brought him a steaming plate of veggies. I am worried as the session ended, two of the players asked for sweet breads and prarrie oysters and I have no idea what they are talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Micar Sin

First Post
um, ok... Giblets: innards, particularly the innards of fowl
Mountain oysters: bull testicles out west, pig testicles in the east, so I'm assuming they're talking about bull testicles if they say prarie oysters
sweet bread: I believe that is brains, but don't quote me on that...

Mr Fidgit

First Post
from dictionary.com...

giblet - edible viscera of a fowl

viscera - 1) The soft internal organs of the body, especially those contained within the abdominal and thoracic cavities.
2)The intestines.

giblets are included when you buy a whole turkey to bake. i've seen them cooked and chopped up to be fed to our pet cats...

BadMojo

First Post
Micar Sin said:
sweet bread: I believe that is brains, but don't quote me on that...

Sweet Breads are indeed brains. I once asked my grandmother if she had ever eaten brains (no, she isn't a zombie).

She said "yes". I asked her how they tasted, and she said "exactly how you would imagine them to".

/me shudders

Cameroon

First Post
the cushter or el vanno as hes known dont take giblets with anything yeh you watch the movies know the face but some of us will always kick it live like cush did vegan

Agback

Explorer
cousin_avi said:
During our last gaming session, one of the characters asked for a plate of giblets. <snip> I am worried as the session ended, two of the players asked for sweet breads and prarrie oysters and I have no idea what they are talking about.

Birds have an organ called the crop, which is at the base of the neck and part of the gastrointestinal track. A hollow muscular organ, the crop usually constains stones or grit, and it is used to grind up food before it passes into the stomach. When the crop is used in cooking it is called a giblet (as lungs are called lights, etc.). Giblets are rather tough, they are usually used to make stock.

Sweetbreads are the pancreases and thymuses (eg. of calves) used as food. (Not, despite what you might have heard, brains.)

And prairie oysters are testicles used as food (usually those of lambs and calves that are castrated rather than slaughtered).

Regards,

Agback

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Incidently, an easy way to avoid this kind of thing and add a little flavor to the campaign is to preprepare a list of meals your characters can order. It doesn't need to be to detailed, but go through a recipie book and take note of a dozen or so recipies and their general flavors.

Any time the PC's walk into the tavern, let them know what they can smell cooking and pick two or three of the meals as menu items.

Tsyr

Explorer
And people cringe when I eat raw fish, fried squid, or barbequed octopus balls*... strange...

*: NOT that type of balls ;p It's chopped up octopus and batter, cooked in little balls, with sauce on 'em. Very tastey. I've never quite managed to get 'em just right, but I'm getting closer.

Remove ads