• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's a good fantasy mapping program?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Drawing a contained shape in any application is pretty much a vector operation. Even creating masks in Photoshop is a vector operation. So most graphics applications, including CAD has some vector operations built into the software. On the other hand, in socalled vector only applications like Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape, and Xara, image fills are bitmap, and though map objects can be vector only, often they are vector shapes with bitmap fills, or can be completely bitmap PNG files with transparent Alpha channel. So basically all higher end graphics packages include elements of both vector and bitmap in their operations. I'd argue that while CAD programs are essentially vector based, they are a completely different animal to a typical vector program. I own both CC3 and AutoCAD, and as a professional graphic designer, I only use AutoCAD for contractor/engineer files which they are designed to work with. When I create a map, I never use CAD - I'd rather use something easier to work with and more intuitive.

Remove ads