• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whats a vRanger?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Perhpas to restate Balgus' question -

Could you give us a context, please? Where did you see the term "vRanger"?

Balgus

First Post
ooooohhhhhhhh

variant rangers are anything that a player who does not like the PHB ranger can come up with.

Usually, it is stripping him of his twf/ amb virtual feats at level one and giving him bonus feats, or other abilities at later levels.

Some peopel even strip him of his spells in favor of more skill points.

Monte's vranger is the most used. But everyone has their own vision of what a rnager should be and everyone has come up witha different one...

Poltergeist:
variant ranger?
Wait- that was a question- and not a clarification...
** whoops :D

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re: ooooohhhhhhhh

Balgus said:
Monte's vranger is the most used.

I'm not so sure that's the case. Or, perhaps more clearly - I'm not sure that whatever lead he may have is at all meaningful. It may be the most used variant among the EN World community, but that speaks only for a few thousand people out of a couple of million gamers.

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: ooooohhhhhhhh

Umbran said:

I'm not so sure that's the case. Or, perhaps more clearly - I'm not sure that whatever lead he may have is at all meaningful. It may be the most used variant among the EN World community, but that speaks only for a few thousand people out of a couple of million gamers.

No, I think he's is the most used because while it might only be used by 10% of the gamers, what other single varient would be used more?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Re: Re: ooooohhhhhhhh

Crothian said:
No, I think he's is the most used because while it might only be used by 10% of the gamers, what other single varient would be used more?

My point being that even 10% is probably a very high figure, and that if you go much lower, being "most used" really isn't that meaningful a statement.

If the difference between the most used and the second most used is only a small fraction of the total number of gamers, it does not imply much about anything.

It's kind of like modern Olympic competition. In many areas, the difference between gold and silver is becoming very small. Small enough that you can't really say it implies much about the relative abilities of the athletes - a small fraction of a second may be more due to a difference in shoes than of actual fleetness, a small difference in jump distance be more due to wind patterns at various times in the stadium.

Similarly here - looking at EN World and MonteCook.com, and comparing site useage to the market research, it seems that only a smallish number of gamers are particularly web-savvy with their gaming. So, the apparent popularity of Monte's variant ranger is more a matter of what websites a small sub-group of gamers visit than what's actually in the ranger. What's meaningful in that?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I can see that, but even if only 5000 gamers use monte's, I doubt there is one besides that that over 100 use. Outside of Monte's there really isn;t one that has any sort of distrubution that would allow it to be used by many gamers.

Dreaddisease

First Post
Does someone have a link to Monte's Ranger. Thats what I thought it was referring to, but couldn't tell. BTW its the new Heroforge that i FINALLY found that I found the vRanger... but I think it should be called the MCRanger instead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads