D&D 5E What's coming out for D&D in 2017?

Mercurius

Legend
I haven't been following the forums much over the last few months but am fairly certain that there have been no official announcements, but any sneaky announcements or at least strong hints for what is coming out next year?

I heard something about an Amazon listing for "Labyrinth" and read some of the speculation, but it doesn't seem clear that it is anything but probably a story arc of some kind and maybe involving a dungeon crawl.

It also seems possible that they are building up for the first true splat release, an Unearthed Arcana of some kind, and that it will not be named Player's Handbook 2.

Anything more concrete? Am I off base? Are they still going with 3 books a year? Etc.

Rils

Explorer
That's about it, from what I've seen. However, WotC has repeatedly said they don't announce stuff very far in advance, basically just a month or two ahead of when it comes out and the marketing push starts. So we're unlikely to hear about things being released until they are basically ready to be released.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
The past two spring releases (Curse of Strahd and Princes of the Apocalypse) were announced in January. So we should hear something in the next 5-6 weeks.

happyhermit

Adventurer
There is the "labyrinth" thing, Pendleton Ward had a hand in an upcoming product, and there is a product coming with more player options.

That's all I have heard on the subject.

CapnZapp

Legend
I haven't been following the forums much over the last few months but am fairly certain that there have been no official announcements, but any sneaky announcements or at least strong hints for what is coming out next year?

I heard something about an Amazon listing for "Labyrinth" and read some of the speculation, but it doesn't seem clear that it is anything but probably a story arc of some kind and maybe involving a dungeon crawl.

It also seems possible that they are building up for the first true splat release, an Unearthed Arcana of some kind, and that it will not be named Player's Handbook 2.

Anything more concrete? Am I off base? Are they still going with 3 books a year? Etc.
Essentially "nobody knows" and not a single thing has been announced.

Sure we expect one spring adventure and then one more in the fall together with the splat, but nothing concrete.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I wouldn't be surprised if WotC released something like the SCAG for Greyhawk or Eberron. It would be an easy way to tell fans of those settings they are not totally ignored.

Mearls has said they're working on the "first rules expansion" for D&D, which will likely be released in November if releases follow the pattern set by Volo's Guide to Monsters and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
No other real details of the name or general tone of the book. Expect news of that in June.

The spring adventure was the one Pemberton Ward consulted on, and has the name "Labarynth", which is apparently a codename. Like Storm King's Thunder was "dagger" and Curse of Strahd was "cloak".
Nothing else is known. Expect a press release in January or early February.

WizKids is doing a set called Monster Menagerie 2 which includes an "adventurer's camp" as a case promo figure, which includes horses and a wagon.
Also, WizKids is doing a set of unpainted miniatures for D&D and Pathfinder, designed for custom painting, that features new sculpts. So you can finally buy that box of orcs or goblins.

GaleForce9 is doing an expansion for the Tyrants of the Underdark called Aberrations & Undead.
They're also revising their Spell Cards decks.

The DMsGuild has started adding Print on Demand versions of their books. Expect that to continue throughout the next few years. But 2017 will be when this really picks up steam.

-edit -
and Dragon, the newsletter. #11 just dropped:
http://dnd.wizards.com/dragonplus/issue11

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Ooh, I haven't heard anything about the spell cards. I love those things and they have been immensely useful to me, any word on what sort of revisions (or additions) they are making?

Remove ads