D&D 5E What's coming out for D&D in 2017?

Ooh, I haven't heard anything about the spell cards. I love those things and they have been immensely useful to me, any word on what sort of revisions (or additions) they are making?

Spelldecks-2017-1.jpg

From: http://www.gf9-dnd.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/327/Default.aspx
And
Spelldecks-2017-2.jpg

happyhermit

Adventurer
Hadn't seen that about the spellcards, it's essentially just repackaging though? Are they changing the cards or just the "decks" you can buy them in?

flametitan

Explorer
Hadn't seen that about the spellcards, it's essentially just repackaging though? Are they changing the cards or just the "decks" you can buy them in?

Likely these versions will be updated to incorporate Errata from the PH (I don't know if previous printings did), but I'm guessing the major thing is that they're repackaging so that you don't have to buy two of them to properly get the spellcards for your class (e.g. the original cleric deck lacked the domain specific spells)

happyhermit

Adventurer
Likely these versions will be updated to incorporate Errata from the PH (I don't know if previous printings did), but I'm guessing the major thing is that they're repackaging so that you don't have to buy two of them to properly get the spellcards for your class (e.g. the original cleric deck lacked the domain specific spells)

I recall they made some changes as they went (the way concentration was indicated). I imagine they implemented the tiny bit of errata that would apply but can't say for sure.

I like the cards a lot, handy and decent quality, so it is nice to see that they are not being forgotten as similar products were in the past. They must be making a bit of money, at least.

If GF9 would just put out monster cards of a similar quality I would buy them in a second.

flametitan

Explorer
If GF9 would just put out monster cards of a similar quality I would buy them in a second.

I probably wouldn't use them, but I love that idea. There was a survey a while back on what sort of game aids we wanted, but other than that I wouldn't know how to go about suggesting it to wotc.

CapnZapp

Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if WotC released something like the SCAG for Greyhawk or Eberron. It would be an easy way to tell fans of those settings they are not totally ignored.
I'm afraid I would. I consider it wishful thinking they would address such a small minority share of the customer base with a print product.

(Based on the figure of 50% homebrewers, 25% realmsers, and 25% all other official campaign worlds.

If you consider that probably more than half of homebrewers are open to using Realms-specific material like Volo's Guide to Monsters in their home campaigns, it's easy to see why all product to date has been placed in FR: it covers perhaps 50% of the total customer base. That in itself might not say much, but if you consider that the next possible world placement would probably struggle to cover even a tenth of that (5%) of the customer base it all becomes clear.)

More realistically expect Greyhawk or Eberron support to come through Unearthed Arcana articles.

CapnZapp

Legend
Mearls has said they're working on the "first rules expansion" for D&D, which will likely be released in November if releases follow the pattern set by Volo's Guide to Monsters and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
No other real details of the name or general tone of the book. Expect news of that in June.

The spring adventure was the one Pemberton Ward consulted on, and has the name "Labarynth", which is apparently a codename. Like Storm King's Thunder was "dagger" and Curse of Strahd was "cloak".
Nothing else is known. Expect a press release in January or early February.
Just to pause Jester David there to make it clear that here ends actual D&D RPG products. The rest of the list is figs, decks, 3PP products and even unrelated games.

So what we know is nothing. It's reasonable to expect further product (as in one this spring and possibly two in the fall) but the difference between 5E's product schedule and the schedules of all editions before it couldn't have been greater.

(I'm mainly addressing new readers with this post. Most of you reading this will already know this stuff. Still it's useful to spell it out to make things unmistakeably clear)

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I'm afraid I would. I consider it wishful thinking they would address such a small minority share of the customer base with a print product.

(Based on the figure of 50% homebrewers, 25% realmsers, and 25% all other official campaign worlds.

If you consider that probably more than half of homebrewers are open to using Realms-specific material like Volo's Guide to Monsters in their home campaigns, it's easy to see why all product to date has been placed in FR: it covers perhaps 50% of the total customer base. That in itself might not say much, but if you consider that the next possible world placement would probably struggle to cover even a tenth of that (5%) of the customer base it all becomes clear.)

More realistically expect Greyhawk or Eberron support to come through Unearthed Arcana articles.

I was counting on the SCAG-like product as being the end for those two settings, really. Everything else ending up Faerun and people just having to make due.

I know that, back when 3E was around, there were a number of groups that loved to mix some Eberron content into their homebrews. I saw a surprising amount of people willing to use the Artificer and Warforged in their settings. I really wouldn't be surprised to see at least the Warforged make an official return outside of Unearthed Arcana.

Also: Eberron was one of the first Unearthed Arcana articles.

Last edited:

Remove ads