D&D 5E What's coming out for D&D in 2017?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Probably mid-January is when we will see the first announcements outside of the magazine, since Dragon+ seems to stay a bit behind due to the bi-monthly release schedule.

Also, in the "next issue" blurb, they talk about how many of the articles will be inspirational in nature, including the next adventure.

It say this about the next adventure: "One thing's for certain --- it's sure to be inspirational!"

I cannot think of how that would tie into something with the code name "Labyrinth".

Tomb of Horrors ≠ not inspirational, a joke perhaps? Or challenging, or maybe a ghost theme...

Yeah, between Curse of Strahd and Out of the Abyss, we've had a fair amount of off-beat fantasy. Storm King's Thunder is much more vanilla in tone, however, so (in the absence of a pattern) we could get anything next. Here is a quick list of things that have not made much of an appearance.

Things we've not had:

Fey, Feywild
Mindflayers, Beholders, Aboleths
Gnolls, Orcs, Hobgoblins
Sci-Fi elements
The Outer Planes
Demons and Devils (despite the premise of Out of the Abyss, they don't show up there much)
Modrons
Politics
Urban campaigning
Dinosaurs
Jungles
Yuan-Ti
Excursions to Sigil, Athas, Krynn, Greyhawk (I'm sure that I saw Perkins mention on Twitter that they were paying attention to how popular Strahd's excursion to Ravenloft was)
Game of Thrones style political intrigue

I notice how many of these things have lengthy sections in Volo's Guide...

Things that we have had:

Dragons, including high-level politics and humanoid cultists
Elemental Evil, dungoneering against humanoid cultists and elementals
The Underdark, including Drow and other humanoid races
Ravenloft, with an undead and constructs focus
Giants, including sandbox wandering

So, to be honest, we could get absolutely anything from the next book.

Remathilis

Legend
Rather than think thematically, I've been looking at the APs by the famous module they are emulating.

Tyranny of Dragons is Red Hand of Doom/Scales of War.
Elemental Evil is ToEE.
Out of the Abyss is Descent into the Depths with a little In the Abyss mixed in.
Curse of Strahd is Ravenloft.
Storm King's Thunder is Against the Giants.

We already know there is a Tomb of Horrors based one in the mix, so what else could see an AP be inspired by it?

Isle of Dread. Already detached from its Mystara origins in the 5e DMG as a part of the plane of water, the ability to drop it instantly wherever they want is too big to ignore.
Great Modron March. THE planescape module. Would let them introduce Sigil, visit a variety of planes, and again be usable in any setting.
Undermountain. Another no brainier for FR. Big dungeon crawl style.
Demonweb Pits. Pseudo-sequel to Out of the Abyss? Maybe a test run on epic level modules
Dwellers in the Forbidden City. Mearls gushed on this one, and the fact it could use yuan-ti and bullywugs and such is too tempting to ignore.
Keep on the Borderlands. The starter set will need a refresher soon, as you can't find it in non specialty stores. Maybe a riff on the classic sandbox?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rather than think thematically, I've been looking at the APs by the famous module they are emulating.

Tyranny of Dragons is Red Hand of Doom/Scales of War.
Elemental Evil is ToEE.
Out of the Abyss is Descent into the Depths with a little In the Abyss mixed in.
Curse of Strahd is Ravenloft.
Storm King's Thunder is Against the Giants.

We already know there is a Tomb of Horrors based one in the mix, so what else could see an AP be inspired by it?

Isle of Dread. Already detached from its Mystara origins in the 5e DMG as a part of the plane of water, the ability to drop it instantly wherever they want is too big to ignore.
Great Modron March. THE planescape module. Would let them introduce Sigil, visit a variety of planes, and again be usable in any setting.
Undermountain. Another no brainier for FR. Big dungeon crawl style.
Demonweb Pits. Pseudo-sequel to Out of the Abyss? Maybe a test run on epic level modules
Dwellers in the Forbidden City. Mearls gushed on this one, and the fact it could use yuan-ti and bullywugs and such is too tempting to ignore.
Keep on the Borderlands. The starter set will need a refresher soon, as you can't find it in non specialty stores. Maybe a riff on the classic sandbox?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Lists of classic modules also tend to mention the Slavers series, Deserts of Desolation, and despite her role in Out of the Abyss, Lloth didn't appear so Queen of the Demonweb Pits might also work. Plus Expedition to Barrier Peaks and Gates of Firestorm Peak.
The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun also tend to pair together.

There's a lot still left.
Which is sad, because none of those touch on new areas of D&D, like the Feywild. None of those really go planar at all.

bmfrosty

Explorer
Important to note that seems to be referring to the Icons of the Realms stuff (so new moulds for the basic 6 minis, as I interpret it) rather than anything in terms of adventure material.

They are, just that the naming is really interesting. I wonder if we get a followup adventure to lost mines in softback that covers levels 5 - 10 with enough XP to push characters into level 11 at the end of the module.

Important to note that seems to be referring to the Icons of the Realms stuff (so new moulds for the basic 6 minis, as I interpret it) rather than anything in terms of adventure material.

I believe they announced they were re-releasing the starter iconics without Drizzt. Making them look more epic rather that identical to the original run encourages people with the first set to buy this new one, while also keeping those minis available for anyone who needs them to run the starter set adventure but missed the first run.

I love Miniature Market. It's also cool getting a look at the forthcoming unpainted minis and their prices:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=Nolzur's+Marvelous+Unpainted
And the related Pathfinder minis:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=pathfinder+deep+cuts

I'm already making a list of what I need.
Displacer beast or two, the vampires are Strahd which I obsess over, maybe some mind flayers. And the phase spider. I recently learned that despite my crazy amount of minis, I lack a Large spider. And there aren't many options for those online.
Plus figs from Monster Menagerie 2.

Man, I'm glad it'll be April before we see a new book, because January and February are going to be expensive...

Remove ads