What's in a name...

Villano

First Post
I once had a dentist named Dr. Coole. The town I grew up in had a Dr. Payne (I think that's how it was spelled). I can't imagine there were many kids who were anxious to go to a dentist named "Doctor Pain". :)

My mom knows lots of people with funny names like Tony Zamboni and Beverly Heverly. And I went to elementary school with a kid whose last name was pronounced "lasagna". I remember we used to call him "Garfield" because Garfield likes to eat lasagna (we were kids, what do you want?!). :)

When I was younger, there was a birth announcement in the paper for a little girl named (first and middle name) "Leather Princess". Why not just name her "Stripper"? :confused:

And I'm related to the Siko family. It's pronounced "psycho". It was originally "Sojka", but it got shortened and rearranged at Ellis Island.

paradox42

First Post
DDS; dentist.
Well, one could go with the beard angle for that at least. :D

I forgot to mention in my post above, a guy at work is named Richard Long. Use the short form of "Richard" (particularly the version commonly used with Nixon) and you get a name I wouldn't have wanted in high school... though at least it makes for something a little flattering.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Once met a doctor by the name of Natasha Sane. Pronounced San-ay, but her signature still looked like N-Sane. And, yes, she was a psychiatrist. :p

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For many years, on a frequently traveled route near my home, you could pass a funeral home that proudly called itself "Long Funeral Services". Mr. Long seemed to miss the fact that this wouldn't be a selling point.

Today, that building has been converted into condos. I'm not sure how well they sell, considering the building's previous use...

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
For many years, on a frequently traveled route near my home, you could pass a funeral home that proudly called itself "Long Funeral Services". Mr. Long seemed to miss the fact that this wouldn't be a selling point.

An s followed by an apostrophe would have been the smarter way to go: Longs' Funeral Services.

Richards

Legend
I've seen a dentist named Dr. Fang, and I went to school with a Chris Cross. I also knew a kid in school whose first name was Dick, a name he shared with his father. So when you called his house and asked to speak to Dick, you were always asked, "Big Dick or Little Dick?"

Johnathan

Remove ads