What's Inside Goodman Games' Isle Of Dread Reincarnated?

Goodman Games has revealed what to expect inside the covers of its upcoming Original Adventures Reincarnated #2: The Isle of Dread.

Goodman Games has revealed what to expect inside the covers of its upcoming Original Adventures Reincarnated #2: The Isle of Dread.

WebsiteGraphic_IOD_Peek.png

"We can’t show you any of the interior pages just yet, but we can talk about them! Here’s what you can expect:

• A brand new piece of art by Erol Otus as the illustrated frontispiece!
  • A foreword by Zeb Cook discussing how he designed a classic adventure, without meaning to do so.
  • A retrospective by Paul Reiche III, developer of Isle of Dread, the guy responsible for the deranged ankylosaur.
  • An article by Lawrence Schick recounting the origin of the Known World campaign setting as first introduced in X1: The Isle of Dread.
  • Michael Curtis’ retrospective on reading X1 from the back of a mini-van as a youth.
  • Harley Stroh’s retrospective about riding battle-tigers on the Isle of Dread as a sixth-grader.
  • An interview with Zeb Cook, co-author of Isle of Dread.
  • Full scans of the original publication, both the first and second printings!
  • And, of course, a 5E conversion with plenty of new content as well."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's possible that many of the adventure seeds from the back of the module will be built up into actual encounters, or that the rest of the archipelago will be described in more detail.

Based on what they did for Into the Borderlands, all this is definitely on the table. Still, they are only doing two entire reprints of 32-page modules, as opposed to the four in the previous book, so I'm still leaning towards it being a smaller book.

Wonder where they'll go with further books should they have the means and opportunity to do so.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
5th edition Basic Rules done up B/X style would be a dream made real for me!
+1. I keep wanting to do a retroclone of 3e/5e-style mechanics, but B/X in scope. As in seven classes, race as class, only about 200 monsters, about the same number of magic items and spells. No picking skills; they're assigned as part of the class, and the tasks are subsumed into the rules. None of the garbage that the recent rulebooks have; just tell me that the cleric has healing spells, swings a mace, and turns undead.

And written at a 5th grade reading level. You want middle-schoolers to play D&D, make it easy for them to read.

+1. I keep wanting to do a retroclone of 3e/5e-style mechanics, but B/X in scope. As in seven classes, race as class, only about 200 monsters, about the same number of magic items and spells. No picking skills; they're assigned as part of the class, and the tasks are subsumed into the rules. None of the garbage that the recent rulebooks have; just tell me that the cleric has healing spells, swings a mace, and turns undead.

And written at a 5th grade reading level. You want middle-schoolers to play D&D, make it easy for them to read.

You should check out Into the Unknown

Its a pretty inspired attempt at a B/X level 5E that includes race as class, simplified classes and spells. I think I'm going to use this for my next game.

dynath

Villager
I'd love it if they would sell a version that is just the 5e content. I care about preserving old modules and such but I see no need for the old versions of the modules in the same book as the new one. I just want one version per book frankly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd love it if they would sell a version that is just the 5e content. I care about preserving old modules and such but I see no need for the old versions of the modules in the same book as the new one. I just want one version per book frankly.

That's how I felt about the first book, but I got it as a present and...it is pretty cool. For the Judges Guild stuff, they released the modules separately, however, not sure why they don't do something similar here, unless there are contractual barriers.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

I feel the same. I bought the first book but I really don't need multiple copies of the same module.

I would rather just have the 5e plus the essays and artwork.

I suppose they could include one version of the original, but a copy of each printing reproduced? Is this a text book? I want a book to use at the table, to play​.

Remove ads

Remove ads