• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the Best RPG Bargain You've Ever Gotten?

FoxWander

Adventurer
My best buy was "best " for both price and timeliness. I was just getting into D&D back in the early 80's and a friend of a friend was being order to get OUT of D&D by his mother because she thought D&D was the devil! Anyhoo, I got the complete 1E set- PHB, DMG, MM, MM2, Fiend Folio, Dieties and Demigods (Cthulhu and Melnibonean version) and a stack of modules almost as tall as the books- all for 20 bucks. Bargain of a lifetime for me! :D

Tewligan

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
And got a copy of the 1E Deities and Demigods, with the Cthulhu and Melnibonean sections, for about $20.
Oh, you sonuva...! The local used bookstore currently has it for $50, and I debate with myself every time I go in there. If it's still there in a few weeks, I'm sad/happy to say I'll probably own it. If I can just buy it and sneak it home without my girlfriend finding out...

Tewligan

First Post
Oh, holy crap - has everyone BUT me gotten the original D&DG for a song but me?

"I got the Cthulhu/Elric D&DG for half a peanut butter sandwich!"
"Really? I got it for a dirty handkerchief and a Chuck E. Cheese token!"
"Wait, you guys PAID for your copies?!"

Gah, you're all driving me mad - mad, I tell you! Somebody send me a copy!

ivocaliban

First Post
rycanada said:
Oh, here's one. My friend's becoming a buddhist monk, so for $0 I got: A dozen 1st ed books... PHB 1e, MM1, Fiend Folio, Legend Lore, Deities and Demigods, and so on (notablty not the DMG, but I've been told it's just deep in a pile of junk at his parent's house, and when he cleans it out it's mine :) ).

If you ever decide to follow your friend on the path to enlightenment, I'd be glad to take those earthly distractions off your hands. ;)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Not RPG material but close, I was in New York City for business, and walking past one of those sidewalk vendors. This one had books and magazines. I scanned an eye over them whiel walking, nothing much of interest, and then a boxed set of five hardcovers - Julian May's "Saga of Pliocene Exile" with a kicker book. I ask how much, guy says $10. Okay, great, I pick them up, end up carrying them through a day of consulting.

Anyway, when I got home I took one out it read, and it as a signed, numbered limited edition.

That really made my day.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

For being an Origins Award judge, I got Ptolus, Hollow earth Expedition, Zorcerer of Zo, Price of Courage, Dragons of Autumn, RuneQuest, a slew of Dungeon Crawl Classics, and lots more stuff... all for the price of hours and hours of reading and comparing apples to oranges....

Hard to figure the value on that, actually.

Owen K.C. Stephens
d20 Triggerman

The next volume is NOW AVAILABLE!
Loot 4 Less III: Belts, Boots, Cloaks, & Gloves

Tewligan said:
Oh, holy crap - has everyone BUT me gotten the original D&DG for a song but me?

"I got the Cthulhu/Elric D&DG for half a peanut butter sandwich!"
"Really? I got it for a dirty handkerchief and a Chuck E. Cheese token!"
"Wait, you guys PAID for your copies?!"

Gah, you're all driving me mad - mad, I tell you! Somebody send me a copy!

:lol: :lol:

I don't sig quotes, but I'm awfully tempted here. ;)

If it makes you feel any better, I only got it after years of on-and-off searching for it.

I did find a copy a couple of years ago, at my local Half-Price Books, for $7.50. But the book was in such bad shape that, believe it or not, it wasn't worth the price! :eek:

(That should tell you how truly crappy quality it was.)

I suggest you keep an eye on EBay. That's where I got mine, and I'm sure others pop up now and again.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Hmmm. Lot of stuff over the years...a lot of stuff indeed.

Highlights:

• Original D&D - in the box - 2nd printing - $8
  • Original City State of the Invincible Overlord - 1st printing - $5
  • All of the Players and DMs Maps for City State/Wilderlands of High Fantasy setting (the original brown pebble cardstock) for ONE Cdn Dollar at auction! (this one remains my favorite "steal" of all time I think - very good condition too) They were auctioned off in a Loblaws white plastic grocery bag, described by Wally at Pandemonium as "Looks like some maps - can I get a buck for some maps?" Yes. He could indeed. ;)
  • AD&D City State of the World Emperor - mint and in the shrink - $10
  • 11 Call of Cthulhu adventures, various, including Mask of Nyarlothotep and the Orient Express, etc for $18

And while it's not RPG, they were mighty fine finds just the same - A Mox Ruby (beta) and Ancestral Recall (Unlimited) M:TG - for 50 cents each, both in near mint. :cool:

Last edited:

Lilith

Explorer
Keep on the Borderlands - $2
A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting - $10 (with map, slightly used)
Glossography - $15 (with map, slightly used)

My recent haul. Others include the entire 2nd Edition Van Richten's Guides for $25.

Remove ads