• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the buzz on FFE?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, but I've read that a guy who helped work on the new version of Metamorphasis Alpha didn't get paid completely. And that was one of their earlier products...so I don't think it's all that recent a problem.

In a thread on the main page (forget which one, I'm afraid), Steve Creech of Bastion says that they (FFE, not Bastion) are completely through and done for. Or at least, that's what I took from his post.

Chaos Drake

First Post
Christina said:
On time? We'll be lucky if we get paid AT ALL!

Oh dear sorry to hear that. I do freelance writing and I know how bad it is when the client doesn't pay. There's this overwhelming sense of loss and betrayal.

Looks like FFE's days are pretty much done... I never understood why they put out books at such a rate. Seriously, an example of how NOT to run an RPG company.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
MEG Hal said:
I heard it may come out but nor through FFE, and they were not at GenCon.

Anybody have an idea of what company might be picking up CastleMorn and publishing it?

I'd vote for Green Ronin, MEG, Goodman Games, and/or Bastion to do it. I think any one of these companies would do a fantastic job and they'd get the selling value of Ed Greenwood behind the product.

Cheers!

KF72

mroberon1972

First Post
I'm sorry to hear this. I'm always saddened when other people fall when following their dreams.

I wish them well, and hope things sort themselves out for them.

SALUTE!
John Bowden
Ancient Awakenings Publications

Napftor said:
But wouldn't they have had more customers at GenCon over Origins? After they treated the poor souls who wrote for them (myself included), I don't really care what happens to them. I can say I'm in several books with James Ward, one of the 'ol TSR big-wigs, but that's about all I've got to show for my efforts. Well, I did take books instead of payment but only so I could get something material from the company before they went under and were unreachable. Who knows, maybe those books which violated the OGL will be worth something someday? :\

Hardly anyone makes enough money off customers at GenCon or Origins to do much more than cover the expense of the con and have some fun. The con is a lot more about mindshare and advertising. Of the two, GenCon arguably reaches more people, but it's also more expensive. If FFE is having to watch expenses and going to two cons wasn't an option, there are valid reasons to choose Origins over GenCon.

Personally, I hope they don't go under. If they do, no one will ever get paid. Secondly, they still do the distribution for FanPro and a couple of other smaller companies, I think. I would hate to see them get hurt by it.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I hope they do not go under since I would never wish that on anyone.

The value of FFE products has been questionable to me, since many of them poorly (IMO) implement the d20 ruleset. I know Jim Ward prided himself on being "different" and he would undoubtedly find this criticism without merit.

The "Power" books (rings, swords, etc. - no offense intended Michelle as I believe you worked on "rings") were a bit too heavy on the story for my tastes to be a good value. However, I realize this is very subjective.

Production values on many of their books are also very poor. The art is very hard to appreciate in black and white and the maps are many times difficult to decipher.

That said, though, I really liked the concepts behind many of the products they produced. Dungeon World is a cool idea. The idea of the Treasure Quests book was great - but, unfortunately, poorly implemented. I give kudos for the binding on that product (great idea!) but then the advenutres didn't connect as well they should (IMO). Dangerous Creatures is a pretty solid book too.

I've bought many FFE products on e-bay, since $5 for a $24.99-list book is a good value to me. I was hoping they would be able to produce Castlemorn since I think it could have been a winner for them, especially considering they had expanded its original scope.

DaveMage said:
The "Power" books (rings, swords, etc. - no offense intended Michelle as I believe you worked on "rings") were a bit too heavy on the story for my tastes to be a good value. However, I realize this is very subjective.

No problem. I still stand by the work I did for that book, but it was very early in the D20 game, and I was very disappointed in the final version of the book as a whole. I don't hold it against anyone if they didn't like those books, honestly. Heck, I didn't like them when all was said and done. (I still think some of my items kicked ass, though.) :)

Allura

First Post
Michelle Lyons said:
Secondly, they still do the distribution for FanPro and a couple of other smaller companies, I think. I would hate to see them get hurt by it.

I did notice that on the last two Shadowrun books I picked up, Shadows of Europe, and the reprint of the 3rd ed main rule book, there's no Fast Forward logo on the back (as there was as recently as Dragons of the Sixth Age). Their contact info is still on the inside for online orders, though.

I'd be interested to hear an update on the Crossgen licensed product they were supposed to be doing. Crossgen has had their own problems, but the integrated universe that went accross many of their comic titles held a lot of potential for an RPG...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads