What's the current, in print, status of Castle Zagyg??

It doesn't look like Castle Zagyg the upper works is even for sale anymore. I heard the license was lost and then nothing. Has there been any developments on this? It's a damned shame that the entire dungeon may never get done.

Ourph

First Post
Gygax Games has withdrawn all licenses from the original publisher, shut down its web presence and doesn't appear (to outside observers) to be interested in continuing the project in any way.

grodog

Hero
There are a number of excellent Castle Greyhawk resources out there if you're really interested in digging into the history of the Castle, and some of them have been released as products:

- Castle Zagyg (OOP as stated, though copies have been coming down in price on eBay lately to the ~$150 range)
- Rob Kuntz's Bottle City and The Living Room (both now also OOP, although a .pdf releases are pending), and he's working up a publishing deal for his Castle Greyhawk levels:

24713d1150463662-would-these-maps-make-fun-dungeon-adventure-maps.jpg

- TSR's EX1 Dungeonland and EX2 Land Beyond The Magic Mirror = both were excerpted from the Castle
- the original Dungeon Geomorphs are excellent resources for as sense of what the Greyhawk Castle and El Raja Key dungeon maps were like, although you can of course check out some maps available online
- Game accounts from Castle Greyhawk published as short stories in various '70s wargaming journals: see Axe & Hammer for a complete listing and texts for reading
- Gary's fictions: "Gnome Cache" TD#1-7, "Faceless Men & Clockwork Monsters" (TD#17), "At Midnight Blackcat Comes" (Dragon 100, along with DragonChess), and a bunch of articles by Gary and Rob about Greyhawk (all from the Dragon Magazine Archive)
- Rob Kuntz's WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure and the various levels published for Maure Castle in Dungeons #112, #124, #139, and as freebies on his web site are worth checking out and slotting into your version of Castle Greyhawk; the Oerth Journal devoted issue 23 to Maure Castle
, and Rob has some excellent interviews and articles in issues 6, 7, and 14, as well his extensive bibliography on Canonfire! and various other things
- Joe Bloch's aforementioned Castle of the Mad Archmage is excellent
- My web site has a fair amount of Castle Greyhawk research, as well a number of additional levels I've designed for my version of Castle Greyhawk

There are a large number of other excellent Greyhawk web sites out there, too, as well as a bunch of dedicated Greyhawk forums for discussion, sharing ideas, digging up research, etc.

So, while Castle Zagyg may be no more, that certainly doesn't mean that Castle Greyhawk is dead by any means. And Gygax Games will likely begin to publish at some point, too, which will only add to the variety and number of products!

Remove ads