What's the tone of your campaign?

Clueless

Webmonkey
Shemeska said:
You'd have to ask my players what they think. *goes to summon one of them*

I think it'd be appropriate to say the campaign is very dark in mood, realistic in tone, with a high amount of effort put in to engage the emotions of players and characters. (*still cursing one particular NPC who'll be getting her just reward shortly*) The scope is certainly wide by this point as it looks like well, the universe may be reaching a reset point and we may need to *stop* it. And for plotting technique, a nice mix of intrigue (player driven even, yay!) and struggle combat wise.

I think the best way to explain *how* dark aspects of this campaign are is this: all the jokes you'll see noted for this game elsewhere (or in the story hour as they come up) don't indicate that we're sitting there goofing off and laughing through it. It's more a matter of laugh or scream for our characters at many of these points. Commentary on this has been in and out of character - we joke at points where you just *have* to. As Toras once said "I'm not going to let the spooky *get* to me!" Other adventurers in the world have commented on just how silly we are in dangerous situations, so it's in and out of character, I guess it shows that we've all gone a ways in doing some serious dynamic character development in response to the plot.

May I have my cookie now, Shemmie? ;)

JimAde

First Post
I'm pushing my players for lots of cinematic action and really schlocky drama. I love that stuff. :) We game very irregularly and I just don't have time to be subtle.

Wombat

First Post
I'd way we are Heroic/Mythological with descent at times into pratfalls, but that is just the view from behind the screen...

Pants

First Post
My High Level - Set in a standard fantasy world of arrogant elves, delving dwarves, powerful magocracies, sprawling cities, enchanted ruins, and all of it is resting on the edge of a blade. It doesn't help that the five people who are currently holding the blade are a greedy gnome who runs a mercantile business, a sun elf mage with a penchant for blowing things up, a martial cleric dedicated to the goddess of healing, a half-orc with the strength of stone and the will of a humingbird, and vanilla druid. Throw in undead armies, powerul liches, half-dragon sorcerers, and demons galore and you get my campaign.

My Low Level Campaign: Imagine Rome right before the collapse. Now, throw in lots of magic, guns, elemental powered technology, hobgoblin armies, feuding nobles, and airships. Mix in with a healthy dose of demonic cultists, green peace druidic activists, and religious fanatics who aren't even sure that their God exists. Right now, the campaign is in its dark, grim, and oh-crap-we-can't-take-10-hobgoblins-on mode.

Galethorn

First Post
A realistic*, grim, but not so gritty, epic, but believable**, heroic sort of a campaign...well, eventually. Right now all the players have done is gotten lost in a bog, searching for the mayor of a nearby town. But, eventually, it'll be a big, epic*** campaign with lots of battles (you know, the kind with hundreds or thousands of guys in them?), and truly evil adversaries.

So, to paraphrase,
My campaign is both epic and down-to-earth; heroic and world-shaking, but always keeping in touch with its roots. To put it succinctly, Tolkienesque, with a large spoonful of my own ‘unique’ feel.
That about says it…

* Realistic refers to the fact that the sky is blue, rain falls, people need to eat to live, and daily life is unaffected by magic for about 99.995% of the population of the world. The ones that are, live in isolation, and/or are beings of mild (like an elf) to immense (like a demigod) supernatural power. War is similarly unaffected by magic. This isn’t because of me just ignoring how prevalent the DMG suggests magic is, but keeping that prevalence low enough that the average commoner (or average territorial war) is pretty much like in medieval Europe, if not for moderately different geography.

** Believable refers to the lack of things like level 15 warrior-type characters surviving 500-foot falls, or a group of six characters winning a fight against several hundred orcs. Sure, there are big battles, but with relatively realistic numbers on either side.

*** World shaking and heroic, with distinct good and evil, while most definitely not above 20th level.

Acid_crash

First Post
The Dragonlance game I am in just went from being serious to total comical with the addition of two kender (stupid DM decision if you ask me) and the two female characters suddenly deciding to become lesbian characters with each other.

kamosa

Explorer
A rag tag band of misfits and second rate con men that are taking on something biger than themselves for the first time.

I would describe our style as medieval "Oceans 11". Lots of actions, lots of fast talk, lots of scheming.

Normally I have an overarching moral theme to the game, but this time it's just fun for the sake of fun.

Li Shenron

Legend
There is a little bit of everything usually in our games. There are moment when the tension is high, everyone is silent around the table and very seriously concentrated :) Other times the story is more relaxed and there are even humorous moments. More or less our game is quite like the average adventure movie :p

S'mon

Legend
Borderlands is kinda "high power low fantasy" - powerful PCs of both good and ambivalent morals in a highly detailed fantasy world where the powers of myth and magic are slowly fading, while the golden age has ended and chaos threatens to envelope the world. PCs currently 12th-14th level; they are among the world's movers & shakers - senior military officers, a thieves' guildmaster, a court magist, a king, a powerful witch, a dwarven race-hero. and such, as well as being 'adventurers'.

rei jin

First Post
my current campaign is based around norse mythology, and as such has a lot of contrasts in it. the characters can do pretty much whatever they want, but they are accountable for their actions. it's light hearted at times, but people have an alarming tendancy to die in amusing ways ( i allowed one of the players, a druid, to summon a gelatinous cube to kill an opponent in a duel, whereby the ooze ate his opponent, and then proceeded to follow the characters around for a few days.) then again, Ragnarok is coming and the pantheon of Gods is going to die, and the world will be destroyed, so they better get moving! but yeah, i've allowed all templates, monster classes and prestige classes (as well as gestalt) so it's fairly high powered as well, but they need to be to survive!

Last edited:

Remove ads