What's the tone of your campaign?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Legendary scope, somewhat dark setting; the PCs *can* change the world for the better, but it's busy falling apart all around them.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Dark as usual. On ocasion, I switch to high heroic style tones or even comedic ones, with wacky or funny sounding characters. But on the whole, the campaign is dark, grim and gritty. Most combats are deadly and the bad guys are really evil.

Ron

Explorer
Mine is a gritty dark fantasy game with lots of fencing and blackpowder weapons. I also rule out most of the humanoids, as the game is focused in humans.

jerichothebard

First Post
I would describe my campaign as...

hmmm...

tough one.

Here's the tagline, though:

No Kings.
No Wizards.
No Dragons.

No Stars in the Sky.

One Continent.
One God.

And a whole Lot of
Walking Dead

The Crescent Campaign
Epic Adventure in the Land of ORB

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
From a dragon magaizne, I actually wrote up the theme and tone of a new campaign and then - Handed it to the players! Before they made characters!
yes I know that ideally one should work with the players - I had 2 alternatives
if they didn't like the first.

Formula: The characters attempt to recover knowledge and items from a long dead mystic.

Theme: Can knowledge come with too high a price?

Tone: Mystery, with sporadic research and violence.
So far it is mostly staying on track, a little shy on information. 2 items recovered, one lost to a rival. Magic is common but generally of low power. realism and history are both important. Two pcs have profession(Librarian)
Influences - Alias, Buffy, Friday the 13th the series, H.P.L

I like a lot of different styles of games.
My original home-brew is a realistic, low magic, low fantasy, and renaissance era setting where dragons and giants and demons are legendary creatures and technology is about to burst upon the scene in a major way. It isn't particularly dark. It is marked by a stiff struggle between divine casters and arcane casters. It is very human-centric, with all other races playing very minor parts in the plots.

I also run games in the "Untamed Legends" setting which is fairly dark. It is full of dragons, giants, elemental, and fey. Humans are usually slaves of the more powerful races and are struggling just to survive. Magic is at about average level in that setting.

I also enjoy modern settings and am working on the 1948 setting, which is fairly "dark" and includes plenty of magic, monsters, and sci-fi elements. Basically, the setting explores what history would have been like if things had happened a little differently during WWII.

I also like high magic settings and my home-brew has a particular period in its history where magic is very strong. I hope to run a game in that time period later this summer. The PCs will be loaded down with figurines of wondrous power, ioun stones, familiars, and cohorts. It will be all about the fall of magic and how the later ages came about.

Sir Elton

First Post
I'm doing a complete send up of Van Helsing in an Urban Arcana kind of tone. I call it Phantom Corp.

Formula:
Urbane Arcana. Monsters and the magic of Fantasy like The Lord of the Rings intrude upon our modern world. The heroes are like anime characters who investigate the fantasy world of Salt Lake City.

Theme and Tone.
Urbane Arcana. The Fantasy exists alongside the Mundane. Most people don’t see the fantasy, but can the heroes defend the populace from horrible monsters?
The Tone: is an exaggerated, black humor tone with over the top action.

I gave this to a player of mine who is working up a character.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Running a Planescape campaign that is decidedly dark and with things on a number of fronts seemingly spiraling down without pause. In the face of events and things that have been set into motion the PCs to some extent have to use more than a bit of sarcasm and humor to break the mood at times. So it's been a mix of depressive, harrowing and "Of course you're never mocking towards us, you're too busy laughing at us in your head!"

You'd have to ask my players what they think. *goes to summon one of them*

And just because I can, this seems to fit the campaign nicely, and has happened once in the course of the game.
flay.gif

(though credit for the graphic goes to Eco-Mono on the WotC boards)

Henry

Autoexreginated
eris404 said:
Like the subject line says, what's the tone of your campaign or rather, what kind of tone do you enjoy most?

My FR campaign that I DM is somewhere between "Princess Bride" and "Kevin Costner's Robin Hood." It's got its serious moments, but overall, it's pretty light-hearted, with OOC humor here and there, with characters doing some really stupid things occasionally, and the players enjoying each others' company immensely. It's the way we prefer it overall, with the occasional more serious game.

Remove ads