• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's up w/ DDI?

RabidBob

First Post

Khuxan

First Post
RabidBob said:
Oh dear.

But how does one legitimately gain access to the magazines? Although as noted above if this involves entering one's credit cards into the site I'm not sure I want to go there.

By logging in to/registering for D&D Insider (top right hand corner). (You also use that account for the forums)

RabidBob

First Post
Khuxan said:
By logging in to/registering for D&D Insider (top right hand corner). (You also use that account for the forums)

*sigh* That was what I was looking for. Bloody small text though ... I need to see the optician again.

DangerAbe

First Post
I wish they'd hurry up and put the character builder up. I haven't started a 4e game yet because I've been waiting for that program so my less experienced players can make characters easier.

Though, if it's not ready by Thursday, I guess we're going to have to make characters without it. <sigh>

Wasn't the online support supposed to be one of the awesome new things about 4th Edition.

Why can't Dungeons & Dragons get on the ball with this?

I was really upset when the 3e edition character creator that came with the Player's Handbook was never actually produced.

Enough with the weak sauce already.

katahn

First Post
DangerAbe said:
I wish they'd hurry up and put the character builder up. I haven't started a 4e game yet because I've been waiting for that program so my less experienced players can make characters easier.

Though, if it's not ready by Thursday, I guess we're going to have to make characters without it. <sigh>

Wasn't the online support supposed to be one of the awesome new things about 4th Edition.

I was really upset when the 3e edition character creator that came with the Player's Handbook was never actually produced.

Character creation is really very easy, even for raw neophytes. Heck, my children, ages 10, 12, 13, and 16 all were able to read through the PHB on the various classes and races to make decisions on what they wanted to play.

1. Pick a class you like.
2. Pick a race you like (class first so I could suggest "good" races for said class if they wanted).
3. Assign ability scores from the array (I used 16,15, 12, 11, 11, 10) and then apply race modifiers.
4. Select 2 at-will, 1 encounter, 1 daily ability from chosen class.
5. Select 1 starting feat.
6. Spend 100 gold on equipment.

Then I just typed up their power information in a power-card pdf file (modifiable, but not saveable) and printed it up.

All told, about 15-20 minutes or so plus whatever time they spent reviewing the classes/races. No character creator is going to do the class/race reading for them so that's the same either way you go.

4e is a LOT easier and newbie-friendly compared to 3e.

Argyuile

First Post
DangerAbe said:

I'm more upset that the time frame for having it up seems to be "Sometime before time stops, we hope".

Xorn

First Post
I'll chime in on the character creation thing--it's really, really easy, plus almost every decision can be undone later (everything but class features, basically). I even allowed the fighter in my playgroup to change from 2H specialization to 1H, since it's our first game and doesn't massively impact the game thus far.

Argyuile

First Post
Also I need it so I can make characters at work. When I have all my books out and a character sheet my boss starts to ask uncomfortable questions like.

Whats that book?
Why aren't you wearing pants?
Is that a picture of my wife?

So please WOTC, save me with the character creator.

Its ok a stop gap creator came out today here is the link http://www.spore.com/trial?intcmp=eaint0010

Last edited:

Halma

First Post
Wow!!

Argyuile said:
Also I need it so I can make characters at work. When I have all my books out and a character sheet my boss starts to ask uncomfortable questions like.

Whats that book?
Why aren't you wearing pants?
Is that a picture of my wife?

So please WOTC, save me with the character creator.

LOL,

you almost got me fired!!!! thanks dude.

Remove ads