• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's up with applying font/color to message board posts?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What's the point of doing this?

Is it an attention-grabbing thing?

Is it a way to establish a "personality?"

Do issues of readability prevent more people from doing this?

Pbartender

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

In general, for colors, yes. Not everyone uses the same style for the message boards, and the background colors of the different styles vary widely. A font color that looks good in one style may be completely unreadable in another.

Aside from that, I think most people don't consider the extra effort of applying the font or color to every single post they make worthwhile.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's also a daft idea for messageboards with more than one colour scheme. Generally gurantees that some people can't read your posts!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Is it an attention-grabbing thing?

I'd say, rather, attention-seeking.

I can't help rolling my eyes when I read something by a poster who always posts every message in a 'unique' font... which makes it harder for me to agree with what they're saying (rightly or wrongly).

-Hyp.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
The first time I read through your post, due to my background color, I completely missed this line.
I don't like font and color changes outside of PbP games.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
What's up with applying font/color to message board posts?

It's the message board equivalent of an affectation, e.g. waving about a handkerchief while nearly spilling your snuffbox. It hurts no one. :)

Of course, not when you do it, whoever reads this secret message or quotes this post . . .

;)

WmRAllen67

First Post
Mark CMG said:
It's the message board equivalent of an affectation, e.g. waving about a handkerchief while nearly spilling your snuffbox. It hurts no one. :)

Of course, not when you do it, whoever reads this secret message or quotes this post . . .

;)

I say, old man, steady on, what?

Ahchoo!

I will admit to using the Comic Sans Ms in blue when I write emails... especially if I'm replying point by point within the original text... The way I have my editor set up it doesn't automatically add angle brackets (">") before the original...

Remove ads