• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's Up with the Orcusword?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Was its existence canon before Dead Gods?

With a casual perusal through the older monster texts I don't see anything. Monte would be the best one to ask if his boards are still up.

Orcus was always known more for his Wand of Death:
Orcus holds the wand of death (Orcus' Wand) which is a rod of obsidian topped by a skull. This instrument causes death (or annihilation) to any creature, save those of like status (other princes or devils, saints, godlings, etc.) merely by touching their flesh. Other powers of this device as rumored amongst mortals are dealt with in another book.)

He's referring to the DMG's artifacts section.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Unless there's been subsequent development in 4E, then I'm not aware of any other books, articles, or anything else that talks about the Orcusword beyond Dead Gods.

On a personal note, I've really got to update that history of Orcus. :eek:

Oryan77

Adventurer
I tried to find out more about it when I was running Dead Gods. The only other thing I could find was a short paragraph in Dragon Magazine issue #359 page 62.

Although, it refers to it as being a greatsword instead of a longsword along with it being a +6 weapon.

I customized it a bit for the adventure since one of my players did take it. It even broke when he wielded it against a mere drow slave, which was one of the funniest moments in our game. That situation couldn't have been any better, the timing was perfect. The drow suddenly became very confident and the PC was immediately jumped by a dozen drow slaves.

I even created an entire quest based off of the broken pieces being scattered around the planes. After Dead Gods, the PCs started to go look for them but we haven't had a chance to continue that campaign.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I tried to find out more about it when I was running Dead Gods. The only other thing I could find was a short paragraph in Dragon Magazine issue #359 page 62.

Just to chip in here, since the Dragon 359 piece was mine. When I was working on that, I couldn't find any other references to it besides Dead Gods.

Rugger

Explorer
I don't have my books nearby, but I do have a vague recollection of Orcus having a +6 sword back in the Bloodstone adventures... perhaps it was just a retcon to explain why the heck he carried a mondo sword?

I vaguely remember it being a higher plus than was normally available...but that was it?

-Matt

Remove ads