What's your exercise routine?

Libramarian

Adventurer
If you don't have one, why not?

(Don't mean to sound too antagonistic; we all know the health benefits of exercise but so few of us do it regularly).

I commute by bicycle, which is an hour to an hour and a half of cycling a day for me, depending on traffic and my energy levels.

I also go to the gym twice a week to lift weights. I'd like to go three times a week but my average is closer to two.

On Saturdays I jog. My usual route is about 6k, but I sometimes do another one through a ravine path with a couple of hills that is like 4k but much more difficult. I wish I could run more but I don't have the time/energy during the week for a decent jog and a shorter one feels kind of pointless. One run a week is barely enough to maintain my (unimpressive) running fitness.

I feel like I get a lot of exercise, and most people remark that to me when I describe my routine to them, but in reality I'm just hitting the CDC's guidelines for physical activity in adults.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Every morning about 45 minute workout - it has not been enough but just started 3 months ago. I cannot stand to workout, it is so freaking boring but keep going because I need to. Been depressed about if because I have not seen a lot of results.
  • 20 mins - cycle
  • 15 mins - various weight machines
  • 10 mins - treadmill
Tried a kettle ball workout, it kicked my butt, was unable to stand for three days after it, which tells me I need to up my routine. Going to start to increase my time on the treadmill.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
10,000 steps a day (achieved by walking my dog) and two 1-hour workout sessions per week.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
When I feel the need for more exercise, I do this:
- go to work
- find a fairly heavy box of something that is not where it should be
- pick it up
- carry it to where it should be

Lather, rinse, repeat - until the feeling goes away.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I lift weights about twice a week. It's about 90 minutes, but I have two gym buddies and we keep each other honest and going so it's really about 45 minutes actual workout - some things we're all working different machines the swapping, but if we're deadlifting, doing squats or the bench it's one at a time and the others spotting.

I am woefully negligent in my walks. I love to walk, but since I moved from working in an office (where I was often on my feet, plus we go for walks during lunch) to work-from-home it's really dropped off.

I put aside time for dedicated workouts three times a week. That’s weights, cardio, and stretching. In addition, I eat right and try to keep an active lifestyle, walking whenever possible - I avoid using the elevator at work, taking the steps up and down.

As I get older, I think it’s even more important to exercise. But I do miss how easy it was to stay in shape back in my twenties.

I have a set of 10lb hand weights that I keep just near the TV room. A couple of nights a week when I'm watching TV I'll pick them up and go through somewhere between 10 and 60 reps of various low impact weight exercises while I'm watching something, followed by a little stretching.

Some days I work from home, some days I go into an office, and some days I visit customer sites. There are days when I'm visiting multiple sites in a city where I may walk a few miles in a day. There are days when I work from home where I may not get out of bed until noon.

I guess the best you could say about my fitness routine is that it's not very routine. But my health is better now than when I used to work in a cube farm every day and eat fast food regularly, so I'm going to look at this as a net positive.

Remove ads