• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite 3rd level Wiz spell?

Which is your favorite 3rd level Wiz spell?

• Dispel Magic

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • Flame Arrow

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Hold Person

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Fireball

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Lightning Bolt

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Fly

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Haste

Votes: 54 37.8%
  • Another spell

Votes: 15 10.5%

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Fireball has losts its shine - Back in original D&D (little white books) a 10d6 fireball when even fighters only had d6 for HD was a stunningly great spell.

By 2e it was still OK - CON bonuses hadn't run rampant at that stage and fireball was the only way to chuck out the damage.

Now in 3e? 10d6 from a fireball isn't that impressive - less effective on the tougher creatures (who have HUNDREDS of hit points now) and on an individual level not much more terrifying than being sneak attacked by a 10th level rogue, especially if he is dual-wielding :)

Thats why my vote went to the up-and-coming hero, Haste. So greatly improved over any previous version! No penalty for casting it, AND you get to cast two spells a round if you want AND it gives a +4 AC bonus that stacks with everything else.

Go haste Go!

Jezrael

First Post
It used to be Lightning Bolt, back when you could bounce it off of things. Now that you can't it's a toss between Suggestion or Summon Monster III.

Course if I really had my way, my mages would be able to cast Bolt 2 :D...but I digress.

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
Fly. Make the fighters and the rogues fly with you!

Haste and Dispel Magic come in second.

Fireball and Lightning Bolt, while flashy, effective, and great for bullying low-level PCs (hi Van), just don't cut it in 3E.

Now, Prismatic Spray......there's a spell for ya.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I have to agree, 3rd level spells rock. It is what makes playing a Sorc hard. I like so many 3rd level spells and can only ever get a few. It is really the first level where spells start to make a big difference.

I choose Fireball because it can get you into so much trouble. I like trouble.

Remove ads